My Moto Hobo life

as a substitute u might consider this instant coffee (taster choice reg) i like mine mild.
i have a stainless steel cup i can hang on the exhaust don't take long to heat.
might do every other day.

Surely while riding you are using excess bike generated power to re-charge your lithium and not just the small Solar input primarily used to provide some boost when stationary I thought?

Surely while riding you are using excess bike generated power to re-charge your lithium and not just the small Solar input primarily used to provide some boost when stationary I thought?
This will depend on how much power is available from the alternator and what load the battery is drawing. We all know how much draw the starting of the Rocket is on the battery, so it will take while before that is charged. I don't know if there is a DC to DC charger installed. Again, in this case you would need a charger with a Lithium battery charging profile.

Hi guys. My panel is 160Watts and It sits on top of my gear charging the battery all day.

As long as I don’t run my iceless cooler like I did today the battery will be 100% charged.

I will look at the battery wires and see if I can shorten them.

The 12v cigarette + 2 USB ports unit I wired to the tongue broke. Cheap Chinese crap didn’t last two weeks on the road.
I need to replace it as it was handy having external power...

This will depend on how much power is available from the alternator and what load the battery is drawing. We all know how much draw the starting of the Rocket is on the battery, so it will take while before that is charged. I don't know if there is a DC to DC charger installed. Again, in this case you would need a charger with a Lithium battery charging profile.
Lithium ion motorcycle batteries are designed for direct charge from bikes 12v system with stator/regulator which as explained by our electrical guru @DEcosse with stock regulator stator is providing full power available all the time and it is the regulator that allocates power regulated current and voltage for battery charging and the bike's current electric consumption requirements. EXCESS power from the maximum produced by the stator is then 'shunted' producing more heat to be dissipated by cooling fins on the regulator which can easily be hot enough to burn flesh and also causing the stator to run hotter and at at full capacity all of the time. An upgraded aftermarket BUT OEM manufacturer's regulator 1st used on Suzuki VStrom 1000 has the ability to just draw what is required from the stator and does not 'shunt' the same way reducing heat and wear and reduced life for the stator. This upgrade when bike young prevents (and if older reduces) the occasional stator failure experienced in R3's which requires engine out and big labor bills.

Lithium ion motorcycle (M/C) batteries are designed for high power output as a starting battery. They are not intended for deep discharge or extended power source usage.
Lithium batteries for deep discharge or extended power source usage as used in EVs or Solar systems are a different design.

I have a RC modellers type charger I use for all my batteries that covers charging, discharging and cycling batteries using either AC mains or 12v DC battery sources. This would convert 12v from his bike's lead acid or Lithium M/C battery to 12v for his Lithium Solar set up. Just saw the Lipo balance accessory SJLCB-6C bit. I had better start hunting for one now!;)

Wish I had found the photos in listings below before typing this from my unit itself. :rolleyes: :banghead:
Swallow AC/DC #2 Digital Peak Charger

Output NiCd/MiMh 1-14s (1.2-16.8V /100mah-5000mah max.)
Lithium-lon 1-5s
Lithium-Polimer 1-6s
Lead acid 1-6s
Banana jacket Connector.
Short circuit protection
PLEASE NOTE: For charging Lipo, LiFe and LiIon batteries this unit requires the Lipo balance accessory SJLCB-6C.
SJLCB-6C
1601605062173.png

*************************************************************************************
Swallow AC/DC #2 Digital Peak Charger (Cont.)
Input voltage: DC input 11-15v 60w, AC input 100-240v 50/60Hz 0.5-1.0Amp
Output voltage: 1.2-12v max 50w
Li-ion/Po 1- 5 cells
NiCd/MH 1-14 cells
Lead acid 1-6 cells
Charge rate: 0.1-5.0 Amp
Discharge rate: 0.1-5.0 Amp
1601604677685.png

They were Au$150 new retail. This listing is now OUT of Stock.

Used one on Gumtree in Kellyville, Sydney, NSW Oz $50

This is a NOS version #1 for sale on Oz eBay now! Au$80 or make offer.
Great things. Output wires are quite small with small diagnostic type banana plugs but have no problem charging my 38 A/hr 12v deep cycle battery I use 24/7
1601603891330.png
1601604157812.png
1601604281041.png
1601603925689.png

Hmm, biked started sluggishly last night and the battery was totally dead this am.
I had issues with a USB port on the bars and accidentally left it plugged in and found a loose 15a fuse so maybe those shorted out and killed the battery?
I bought it new in Daytona in March when I was having issues so it should be fine.

I charged it off my Lithium Solar battery for 4 hours and it started fine to/from Zion National Park so I think its OK.

I will know in the am... An Autozone 10 miles away has one if needed.

88F13F5D-679B-406C-B0DC-B35309900F6B.jpeg
E48CE069-F5CA-4EAE-A05A-F95677354A21.jpeg
2BDC6835-3AB5-469B-A3B2-52BBB77F84F3.jpeg
572138C9-CD33-4F92-9C36-8F3DBABA1C7F.jpeg
68EA4F26-DB3A-4526-8E7F-78EF115639CF.jpeg
FFD1BD28-5AEF-42F3-9666-376139D044DF.jpeg
E8D90895-2DE0-454B-85C9-12C403A46FBF.jpeg
I love camelbak

Back