My First 1000 mile iron butt Saddle Sore ride

I am impressed.....that is a heck of a ride for one day. Any photos of the modified seat on your bike?

Hear 'ya go.
1.jpg
2.jpg

A stock seat is 29" off the ground. My seat is 31". It made all the difference to me. With the lower seat I always felt I was sitting on my tailbone. With the seat a couple of inches higher I'm much more comfortable.

Yesterday I rode my first 1000 mile iron butt saddle sore ride.
I rode a loop from Pleasanton CA. to Elko NV. and back.
I rode with a buddy who is riding to the east coast. At Elko he continued east and I turned around and headed home.

By the numbers:
1025 total miles
Total time 17.5 hours
Total riding time about 15.75 hours
Total fuel used 29 gallons
Average MPG 35
Average speed 65 MPH

It was hard but a lot of fun in a strange way. On my way back after riding about 650 miles I remember thinking I still had about 6 hours of riding left and 350 miles. It plays with your head.

The toughest part was riding west out of the Sierras into the Sacramento Valley area. It was getting late in the day and I'm riding directly into the sun. Traffic was a ***** and heavy. I'm tired, suns in my eyes and I still have about 3 hours of riding to go.

The bike worked great. No issues. Ate up the Nevada high desert at 85 to 90 MPH for hours on end, and just wanted more. Never even a hiccup. I use a Corbin seat that I had them modify. Its about 2 1/2" higher than normal and has been softened up. There "normal" seats are too hard for my butt.

We left at 3:30 am from Pleasanton and arrived in Elko NV. about noon. I was back home in Pleasanton at 9 pm. One long day but worth it. A good mental and physical challenge.
And yes I'm sore today.
D-
Congrats! I have 2 Saddlesores logged in my last was 1000 in FL New Years Eve 2013. Had a VERY nice 6300 mile round trip to STURGIS 75th this year

Congratulations on completing a helluva ride!
The most I've ever done in a day is 850 miles (from Kanab Utah to home) when I hit the Altamont I was done! That wind hit me and I wasn't sure I had the weenies to hang on.
Nice job!

Was Knab a tad chilly? . . . perhaps even WET?
Considering the weather you endured, your ride WAS indeed an iron butt in my book!!! :thumbsup:

1000 miles in one day is not for the weak or faint of heart...:thumbsup: I've been x-country 4 times the first time we had planned to camp out along the way. That lasted for about a day, then i planned my trip from motel 8 to motel 8 we averaged about 400-500 miles a day. Doing that for two weeks a hot shower comfortable bed and nice dinner keep us going..

Attachments

• 15936_1195855614095_7063204_n.jpg
    15936_1195855614095_7063204_n.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1
1000 miles in one day is not for the weak or faint of heart...:thumbsup: I've been x-country 4 times the first time we had planned to camp out along the way. That lasted for about a day, then i planned my trip from motel 8 to motel 8 we averaged about 400-500 miles a day. Doing that for two weeks a hot shower comfortable bed and nice dinner keep us going..

That there is a darn good pace. Goodonya!
My cross country (WA to OK, AK, SC, WA DC, back again to the Dragon, then northern route to SD and home) was just over 11,500 miles.
Averaged 310 miles/day. I was very satisfied I could do that much for 37 days of riding!

That there is a darn good pace. Goodonya!
My cross country (WA to OK, AK, SC, WA DC, back again to the Dragon, then northern route to SD and home) was just over 11,500 miles.
Averaged 310 miles/day. I was very satisfied I could do that much for 37 days of riding!

Now that is impressive!!!

Now that is impressive!!!

Thanks. I was concerned about being gone from home that long.
My 50 years of motor travel have comprised rides of two to three weeks.
I never had headed out for six weeks before.
After the first two weeks, I hit the groove and felt like I could ride like that for a year!
If anything ever happens to my sweetie (God forgive) I'm out of here on a REAL extended ride.

Back