My First 1000 mile iron butt Saddle Sore ride

DJ

Bob Ewell fell on his Knife.
Ride
2007 R3 Classic
Yesterday I rode my first 1000 mile iron butt saddle sore ride.
I rode a loop from Pleasanton CA. to Elko NV. and back.
I rode with a buddy who is riding to the east coast. At Elko he continued east and I turned around and headed home.

By the numbers:
1025 total miles
Total time 17.5 hours
Total riding time about 15.75 hours
Total fuel used 29 gallons
Average MPG 35
Average speed 65 MPH

It was hard but a lot of fun in a strange way. On my way back after riding about 650 miles I remember thinking I still had about 6 hours of riding left and 350 miles. It plays with your head.

The toughest part was riding west out of the Sierras into the Sacramento Valley area. It was getting late in the day and I'm riding directly into the sun. Traffic was a ***** and heavy. I'm tired, suns in my eyes and I still have about 3 hours of riding to go.

The bike worked great. No issues. Ate up the Nevada high desert at 85 to 90 MPH for hours on end, and just wanted more. Never even a hiccup. I use a Corbin seat that I had them modify. Its about 2 1/2" higher than normal and has been softened up. There "normal" seats are too hard for my butt.

We left at 3:30 am from Pleasanton and arrived in Elko NV. about noon. I was back home in Pleasanton at 9 pm. One long day but worth it. A good mental and physical challenge.
And yes I'm sore today.
D-

Congratulations on completing a helluva ride!

The most I've ever done in a day is 850 miles (from Kanab Utah to home) when I hit the Altamont I was done! That wind hit me and I wasn't sure I had the weenies to hang on.

Nice job!

Distance riding is funny...for me at least. Seems that you get to a certain point where your brain and your body are telling you to pull over and find a hotel room and then you get past that and seems like you could ride for another 24 hours. A buddy and I did an iron butt the first day headed to Sturgis this year, Brookshire, TX to Delta, CO...1125 miles or so on that first day. Once we got to El Paso and turned North the ride was great...getting to El Paso was brutal.

Congratulations on completing a helluva ride!

The most I've ever done in a day is 850 miles (from Kanab Utah to home) when I hit the Altamont I was done! That wind hit me and I wasn't sure I had the weenies to hang on.

Nice job!

I hear you. We thought about going out and over Altamont, then up hwy 5 but decided against it. The road is pretty rough from the trucks, no lights, and the inevitable wind. In hind site it would have been OK to go out that way as Hwy 680 had a lot of construction going on in the morning which caused a bit of a headache with our speeds.

Yesterday I rode my first 1000 mile iron butt saddle sore ride.
I rode a loop from Pleasanton CA. to Elko NV. and back.
I rode with a buddy who is riding to the east coast. At Elko he continued east and I turned around and headed home.

It was hard but a lot of fun in a strange way. On my way back after riding about 650 miles I remember thinking I still had about 6 hours of riding left and 350 miles. It plays with your head.

The toughest part was riding west out of the Sierras into the Sacramento Valley area. It was getting late in the day and I'm riding directly into the sun. Traffic was a ***** and heavy. I'm tired, suns in my eyes and I still have about 3 hours of riding to go.
D-

I have never ridden that long, but I do have one rule I follow....never wear a pair of underware, or any clothing, that has a seam across the cheek of your butt. After a couple of hours that seam will feel like a 3/4" piece of rope.

As for the sun in your eyes....I put black electrical tape all across the top of my face shield all the way down the shield to just above my vision point at the horizon line. That way I can see all that I need without the sun in my eyes. It works great! If you find that sweet spot you could also mask off and paint the inside or outside of your shield with black spray paint. Just saying....

Congrats on your 1st Iron Butt!

There's a guy on here from my hometown that's completed over 10 of them, he has a R3R and after seeing his at a rally and agin at the dealership, I had to have one, it's the reason I'm a R3T owner today. Best of luck in your future Iron Butt challenges.

Back