Mounting an Exedra Max rear tire on the new 3R = Better Handling

Update- I just did the first tire change since putting on the Exedra Max. I got a little over 5,000 miles on the tire, which for me is a record (based on my history with the Roadster). As usual the wear is mostly on the outside. I might have gotten a few hundred more out of it, if not for picking up a nail yesterday (good timing) and the fact that I often end up riding in the rain.

Not sure if it's because the bike is lighter than the Roadster, or because I put a lot of distance miles on it on a ride from NC to Washington D.C., New Jersey, and back that accounts for the increased wear over the Roadster with this tire.

What I can say is that the handling is definitely improved with the taller profile tire and I have always liked the performance of the Exedra Max. Needless to say I mounted another Max.

IMG_1853.jpeg

Above, the Exedra after 5,275 miles.
By contrast, the original Cobra (below) with just 3,150 miles racked up during the break-in period.
1660786017797.png

Last edited:
Update- I just did the first tire change since putting on the Exedra Max. I got a little over 5,000 miles on the tire, which for me is a record (based on my history with the Roadster). As usual the wear is mostly on the outside. I might have gotten a few hundred more out of it, if not for picking up a nail yesterday (good timing) and the fact that I often end up riding in the rain.

Not sure if it's because the bike is lighter than the Roadster, or because I put a lot of distance miles on it on a ride from NC to Washington D.C., New Jersey, and back that accounts for the increased wear over the Roadster with this tire.

What I can say is that the handling is definitely improved with the taller profile tire and I have always liked the performance of the Exedra Max. Needless to say I mounted another Max.

IMG_1853.jpeg

Above, the Exedra after 5,275 miles.
By contrast, the original Cobra (below) with just 3,150 miles racked up during the break-in period.
1660786017797.png
That's good to know as i have an Exedra Max curing in my shed!...seems like low mileage your getting tho!...12000 kms for my cobber on his R model..Avon...then a Metzeler 888..another 11000kms....23000kms on his front Avon.

This is a DIY install of the Exedra Max on the new 3R. It requires minor modifications to the forward most rear fender and, if doing it yourself, a tire stand and Mojo Lever - I'd say about a two beer rating for time/difficulty.

The result, in my opinion, is a less expensive tire that provides better performance, handling, and wear.
IMG_1261 2.jpeg

The Exedra Max has proven to be a very good tire on my ’11 Roadster. The Exedra goes for $200, as opposed to $312 (WTF?) for the Cobra Chrome at Rocky Mountain ATV. With an average of three tire changes/year this is a significant difference.

What you can expect: The Exedra is 1” taller, so you have to raise the fender on the front of the swing arm up an extra 1/2.” A couple of 1/2" spacers and a short piece of metal (thanks @Tal for the tip) was all that was needed to make the switch. So, the bike sits taller, but for me, with only a 30” inseam, it seems like it’s a couple of inches taller. This will provide you with more clearance (fewer peg drags) and, because the rake is changed, quicker handling that you’ll especially notice on the twisties.

About the mounting....
Just 5 bolts and the wheel is off!

IMG_1246 2.jpeg

I use Motion Pro irons to break the beads- easy.
IMG_1245 2.jpeg

I've been using the Mojo Level on the Roadster and it works great on the 3R too. I balance using Marc Parnes' setup, but the 3R has a large hub opening and I need to see about getting some kind of adapter. This time I used Dyna Beads, but I really prefer the traditional method.

Speaking of wheel weights- there were a boat load of them on there from the factory to balance out the Cobra Chrome. I've never had to use that many weights.
IMG_1247 2.jpeg

The Cobras wore more on one side and this is what I had left at 3,150 miles....
IMG_1243 2.jpeg

The front also needs replacing and is cupping (my usual experience with Avons). It'll get changed before meeting up in Maggie Valley next weekend. I usually get about 4,000 from a tire on the Roadster, so I'm not sure if it's just the Chromes, or if the new bike is even more hungry for tires - I guess I'll know in the next 3-4K.
It the same thing I was thinking to do next year on my bike but I’m interested in ABS on dashboard do not throw any warning lights??? 240/50/16 chrome vs 240/55/16 exedra 1” taller in overall diameter???? Only two spacers 1/2” thick to replace it on bike without any issues?? Thx

It the same thing I was thinking to do next year on my bike but I’m interested in ABS on dashboard do not throw any warning lights??? 240/50/16 chrome vs 240/55/16 exedra 1” taller in overall diameter???? Only two spacers 1/2” thick to replace it on bike without any issues?? Thx
No ABS warning lights. The Exedra is 1" taller, so it lifts the bike 1/2" (figure 1/2" above the axle and 1/2" below- the 1/2" below is what lifts the bike higher). But, I may lift the "hugger" another 1/4" (to 3/4") for a little more clearance there.
how big of an effect did have on the speedometer, it would be nice having an alternative tire to go to, chromes always seem to be on back order here
My speedometer is still reading faster than I am going. At 70 on the gauge I'm really doing 68. I don't mind it- better than reading too slow. Not sure how much the larger diameter tire affected the discrepancy.

The forward fender (hugger) is such an easy mod and completely reversible. There's really no reason not to at least try the Exedra Max. Lower cost, longer wear, and improved handling (decreased rake caused by the raised rear).
🤷🏼‍♂️

No ABS warning lights. The Exedra is 1" taller, so it lifts the bike 1/2" (figure 1/2" above the axle and 1/2" below- the 1/2" below is what lifts the bike higher). But, I may lift the "hugger" another 1/4" (to 3/4") for a little more clearance there.

My speedometer is still reading faster than I am going. At 70 on the gauge I'm really doing 68. I don't mind it- better than reading too slow. Not sure how much the larger diameter tire affected the discrepancy.

The forward fender (hugger) is such an easy mod and completely reversible. There's really no reason not to at least try the Exedra Max. Lower cost, longer wear, and improved handling (decreased rake caused by the raised rear).
🤷🏼‍♂️
Thx for quick reply and chance to save on tire cost and all + and- off doing it!! Appreciated

🤷🏼‍♂️
Maybe a little better lean when on side stand also?

🤷🏼‍♂️
That’s not bad. With stock tires my dash reads 5 mph faster than true speed

Back