More Thai Triumphs

Pig9r

Living Legend
Link Removed

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Thailand Aims To Become Export Hub For Large Cycles[/FONT]http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v...nd Aims To Become Export Hub For Large Cycles Link Removed

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]MILAN, July 30 (Bernama) -- After clinching a deal in which Triumph Motorcycles decided to invest another Bt3.5 billion in Thailand, the kingdom now aims to become a production and export hub for large-sized motorcycles, said Kosit Panpiemras, Deputy Prime Minister and Industry Minister.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Kosit has just concluded five-day visits to Britain and Italy, which began July 25, according to TNA report.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]In Britain he met Triumph Motorcyles president John Bloor, who agreed to invest an additional Bt3.5 billion in 2008 in Thailand operations for manufacturing parts for large-sized motorcycles.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]At present, the company has a plant in Thailand's eastern seaboard province of Rayong.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]With the additional investment, the company plans to assemble about 50,000 large-sized motorcycles annually.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Kosit said he had ordered Satit Chanjavanakul, secretary general of the state-run Board of Investment, to map out plans on promoting investment for large-sized motorcycles with the engine capacity from 500 cc upwards which have a global demand of over 100,000 units annually.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Besides Triumph Motorcycles, two or three major large-sized motorcycle producers may also invest in Thailand, Kosit said, adding that he expected the investment promotional plan would be completed soon.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Kosit said he had also held talks with Giorgio Garimberti, operations chief of VM Mortori, Italy's major diesel engine manufacturer, who said that his company was keen to set up a factory in Thailand in 2008, with production starting in the following year. The investment by VM Mortori is around Bt450-900 million.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]-- BERNAMA[/FONT]

I wonder if that means the 'Triumph Great Britan' emblems will come off the R3?

The discussion has been worn out on other forums, mainly New Bonneville and T-Rat but I vowed to myself that I'd never buy a Triumph made in Thailand and I haven't. My Bonnie was made in GB as was most of the parts (and assembly) of my R3. You can ascertain the origin of manufacture from the serial number.

Globalization is a double edged sword. While it boosts economies of Pacific Rim countries and third world hovels, it lowers the standards of industrialized nations. Besides, what happens when all of the world is on what capitalists deem is a 'level playing field'? Who, at that time will be able to purchase hard goods at the inflated prices that are the hallmark of our times? I don't know the answer and neither do the capitalists that are out to make a quick buck at the consumers expense. My crystal ball is clouded..........:)

My Bonnie was made in GB as was most of the parts (and assembly) of my R3. You can ascertain the origin of manufacture from the serial number.

Sorry to inform you but the frame, swingarm, oil tank, gas tank, claw cover and headers are among many of the components of the Rocket that are made in Thailand.

Piggr:

I knew that. It's all about outsourcing and cheap labor. You know, buy it cheap, sell it steep....:)

I think it's all crap.. all companies going to Thailand, Mexico, China, etc, not just motorcycles.. so they can find labor that will work for 75 cents an hour. I guess the African countries will be next after the Asian market starts demanding more money for their work. I think any company that out sources labor should be required to pay the laborers in the host country the same amount that they would be paying for labor back in their home country. Eventually, it will come to that anyway.

Shoot... my 8 year old daughter is already disgusted by finding everything made in China, or Taiwan.. or wherever.. lol and I didn't point this out to her.. she just started looking for it on everything herself.

Back