Jamie

Living Legend
For her 20'000th miles anniversary, the green machine is gonna get Rivco's chrome-plated differential ring, which covers or replaces (I'll figure that out tomorrow) the rather unsightly standard, black plastic band. At roughly 90 dollars ex-factory --which translates into 130 dollards landed and customs-cleared in Switz.--, it borders on prodigality, doesn'it?

YES IT DOES ;)

Jamie

something to do with attracting sheep in High German.

Das Schaf, in High German, Raymond. Neither he (der) or she (die), but a neutral gender (das). :) Which takes some of the guilt out of the act :D

PS. In our German (i.e. the schwyzertütsch dialect, which is the ONLY germanic language spoken in Switz., with various regional... er... embellishments) ) the "der-die-das" grammatical aggravation generally gets abbreviated to "d' " and many words get spelled differently. And, therefore, Das Schaf, in our German, happens to be: " D' Schoof ".

Now, to attract (your word) sheep, "Schoofili" is what mine responds to, i.e. little sheep, with implied tenderness;) .

Jamie

Last edited:
It means 'recklessly extravagent' in English and has something to do with attracting sheep in High German.

Raymond.....This might help explain the German/Swiss German distinction.

Swiss German (Schweizerdeutsch, Schwyzerdütsch, Schwiizertüütsch, Schwizertitsch) is any of the Alemannic dialects spoken in Switzerland. Occasionally, the Alemannic dialects spoken in other countries are called Swiss German as well, especially the dialects of Liechtenstein which are closely associated to Switzerland's.

Linguistically, Swiss German forms no unity. The linguistic division of Alemannic is rather into Low, High and Highest Alemannic, varieties of all of which are spoken both inside and outside of Switzerland. The reason "Swiss German" dialects constitute a special group is their almost unrestricted use as a spoken language in practically all situations of daily life, whereas the use of the Alemannic dialects in the other countries is restricted or even endangered.

The dialects of Swiss German must not be confused with Swiss Standard German, the variety of standard German used in Switzerland. Even though Swiss Standard German is influenced by the Swiss German dialects to a certain degree, it is very distinct and any native speaker will immediately note the difference. Most natural Swiss dialects have some degree of a sing song quality to them and can be most easily distinguished to the ear from German by this.

The Italians put Swiss German (Svizzero-Tedesco) into a slightly larger group (Tedesco Alemanno) which encompasses the speech in parts of Southern Germany and the Alsace region in France. Within specifically Swiss German (Svizzero-Tedesco) they break it down generally to West Swiss German and East Swiss German as well as the "highest" German from the mountainous cantons, and also Basel German and Zurich German are in separate categories.

Back