Maybe a dumb question..

Trust me (and others if they find this section), the '56 does nothing for the 7%, and yes the dealers are confused themselves. We've been through this several times on the old rat**** site.

Haven't heard about the excessive clutch wear, but that is one of the reasons I don't want to pull the plates-warranty.

My dealer told me the same thing when I bought my Rocket. He said "just bring it back and we will plug it in and get rid of that 7% retard", well come to find out, it is NOT a computer issue.

The easiest way to remove this 7% retard is to remove the top butterflies from the intake venture.

The lower butterlfies are controlled mechanically by the throttle cables and the top ones are controlled electronically by the "Electronic Control Module' (ECM). These top butterflies only open to 65% of fully open under wide open throttle in 1st, 2nd, and part way through 3rd gear.

There are some guys running this mod and to date they say they have had no problems....

The rev limiter is there simply to limit revs. it knows nothing about which gear you are in and works in neutral also. It's job is to protect the motor from overreving. The top speed limiter is a different animal altogether. Imagine you are crouched over the tank hanging on as the beast approaches 140 mph when bam!!! the engine cuts out. That would be pretty scary. Instead as you approach 140 the timing is backed off gently and the motor goes "soft" and won't pull any harder.
BTW, The 7% must be a computer issue or how could it be applied in the first two gears and 5% in third?

OK Cap'n listen up. The computer knows what gear your in. The secondary butterflies restrict airflow enough to reduce full power (whatever that is) by approximately 7% in 1st and 2nd. 3rd gear is probably more like 2-4%. Full power for fourth and fifth (no restriction). The CPU also limits top speed to 140, which is really 130-135 based upon the "forward thinking" speedometer.

Pulling the secondary throttle plates (not hard) or rigging some fuses can also fool the cpu to thinking it is in high gear, also giving full power.

The rev limiter is set at 6500 rpms more or less. The tach may be a little slow though, and 6500 on the tach may be 6700 at the engine. Regardless, not much power up there, bang your shifts at around 6K...

Hmmm...I've bounced the rev limiter (on two separate occaisions) and it was no where near 8,000 rpms. Also, the power commander doesn't even allow you to mess with fuel past 6750.

And on their own maps it stops at 6500.

This is weird.

Back