Making a Rocket look like this...

mattmillme

Standard Bore
Ride
none atm
This iHello everyone, My name is Matt. I am a speed and power addict(this feels like an AA meeting... did you say hello? lol). I respect the Rocket 3(do't bash me just yet, hear me out lol), but am apprehensive about it because I don't really care for how it looks stock to be perfectly honest. I think the Rocket 3 is an ugly ass bike stock. I prefer the look, feel, sound, and style of v-twins. The inline 3 cylinder doesn't do it for me in a cruiser style bike. I love the Honda VTX 1800. The look, sound, feel, and style modifications that can be done to make it look like a cruiser style bike should. But as you all know the X will have a very hard time matching what the R3 can deliver as far as performance is concerned. I am more of a function over form type guy, but form does play a big role for me. Being that I do care about looks to some extent, I started looking to see if anyone had built an R3 into something I like to look at, and viola, I found some that I am to die for. Now I am sure that you all have seen these before, but I am pretty much just concerned about cost and ease(to an extent, I will explain) to transform a stock R3 into something like that following:

Triumph+MR3+by+MrMartini+01.jpg

Those are in order from number 1 that I would prefer to do through number 3. I am curious what cost is involved, and how much stuff that I would need to fabricate myself, and specifically what parts would need to be fabricated. I would prefer option 1 to have inverted forks with springs on the outside of the forks if possible, number 2 to possibly have a less extreme angle to the seating area for rider and passenger comfort/compatibility, and number 3 to have a removable solo cowl for the occasional passenger.

I am a pretty competent mechanic(I am one for a living) and good with custom work and custom fabrication(also do that at work), but am pretty new to motorcycles in general. Thank you for any help advice or knowledge that you can provide me, and your time that you take to do so. Have a great day everyone.

Here you go.....
This is actually a 2014 Roadster made made to look like Something different.
It has the "look sound and feel" of the V twin you are looking for yet maintains the rally stripes the Roadster is famous for........

image.jpg

What type of bike is that really?

What type of bike is that really?
it is a VRod, I would stick to your first option and yes I think most of us said that the rocket was ugly when we saw it but the size of that donk in a bike makes you want test ride it and you will soon love it, there are more exhaust options as well there is one thing about the Rocket not looking like all those Hardly Ableson and their copies, its like a blank canvass wait for you to apply your brush stroke whether it is just paint or more like this Guys bike http://www.r3owners.net/members/ponters.2351/
Ponters spent a small fortune but it is money well spent as he has a truly unique bike that is not just looks

I meant to ask do you actually own an R3 ?

From his profile it appears, none at the moment.

As to transforming the R3, I'd say go for it. It is a rather ungainly looking beast. As to cost, take a guess and double it. Since the R3 is not a big seller, there are few off the shelf options for cosmetic changes. Most efforts have been spent on performance. It would be great to see what someone with some skills could accomplish. Its not like you could make it much uglier.

I certainly don't dislike anyone enough to sit them on top of the rocket's exhaust (option 3 plan?)!:eek:
Option 1 looks relatively simple and I'd say if you can do your own welding should be less than 5 grand (without the inverted forks), but then it's not really a cruiser, is it? Nothing wrong with a 2.3 liter cafe racer though.
I'd recommend the diavel to you. Seems to fit more of what you're looking for. But I would certainly be interested in seeing what you could modify your rocket to...when you decide to get one ;)
Btw, thanks for emphatically calling my bike ugly:rolleyes::ninja: you can be sure I won't do the same to whatever you do to make it uniquely yours :thumbsdown:

Back