Lowest Price on Rocket III

Jimbeamrye

.060 Over
Ride
2007 Rocket 3 Classic
I noticed a dealer on-line that is selling R3's for $13,999 Out The Door Price. I think that is a very good deal considering my "local" dealer wants $15,999 for the same bike PLUS Doc, and Prep fees. The $13,999 bike would take me a 5 hour drive up there and of course 5 hours back. I would end up saving over $2000 just for 10 hours drive time and I think that would be worth it.....does everyone agree? Hell thats over $200.00 per hour pay....I like that!
Downside is that I would much rather spend the money at the local shop and be helping them out. Plus if I need service on the bike it might be quicker if I bought the bike from the local shop.

So here's where I need some help guys...I've allready heard the sales pitch from the local shop. So how would you all suggest I tackfully let him know I will drive up north to purchase this bike unless he shaves off at least $1,500.00 of his quoted price? Should I print off a sales ad from the low priced dealer and show him? Plus I mentioned I was wanting to wait for an 07 model and he said it might be December before those arrive....is that a BS statement or is there truth to that? Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks for any Help with this matter!

Last edited:
I found a lower price online and my dealer matched it, nothing wrong with bargaining, their clearing the floors for the 07's too I believe.

Wholeheartedly second SidecarFlip's views. And "good deals" can (and in my- and others' case: DO) take the form of substantial rebates on accessories, clothing, etc. even well AFTER the initial purchase.

Best. Jamie:cool:

Well Jimbeamrye I guess you have to ask yourself some soulsearching questions.I was in your shoes in June.I know what the salesman said to me at the time.They would do the work on the bike if I got it someplace else but to me knowing that they are the only Authorised Dealer to do the warranty work within several hundreds of miles meant that the price difference wasn't enough to justify not giving them the sale.It's the intrinsic value that has paid for itself over and over,like calling after service to see if I'm happy with it,or saying my name when I walk in and how are things going,not just with the bike mind you,they look at you not just as customer but something more.Can't put a price on that pal.

Well thanks everyone for some good ideas, but I was hoping someone had some suggestions on how to save some money? My post clearly says I want to buy local...who wouldn't. The dealer here has way more $$ than I do...I promise! It is going to hurt me good, right in the pocket book, as I try to pay for mortgage, gas, and now a bike loan. I work for peanuts and I need every break I can get! I will have to work overtime for awhile just to get this bike and I am sry if the dealer isn't gonna $$cha-ching$$ with my Hard earned money. I want him to make some profit though, but $2,500-$3,500 profit is just too much! I would be inclined to buy all my assy's there if that would help them. I rebuild cars and trucks too...built my own 302 5.0 L ford motor from the crank up...guess I'll learn how to service my own bike if the local won't be a sport and give me a deal...we'll see I guess. I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome as this progresses!
BTW, I never said I wanted the local dealer to give me the bike at cost.....I just want it marked up "reasonably" for their profit. I'd be happy if they just loaded the crate right onto my truck and let me assemble it.:D

Last edited:
Definitely show the dealer you have a better price from another dealer. Two things can happen. (1) Your local dealer will adjust his price to an agreeable number (2) He might just let you know why the out of town dealer's price is that low. He may come up with something you don't know, or did'nt figure on. In other words, you think you are going to save money, but in the end it cost you almost as much money to go out of town as it would have to stay local. There are other ways to save money. I'm sure sooner or later you will purchase extras, or need service. Maybe you can make some deals on some of that stuff to help make up the difference. PS - you're not really saving $2000. It's going to cost you a couple of hundred dollars just in fuel alone to go there and back. And what is your time worth? You will lose a whole day's time. You can't earn any money in one whole day? I'm sure you can make an agreeable deal. One of my biggest things would be the service. If your local dealer has excellent service, it pays in the long run to stick with him. Hope this helps. :bch:

Yes all help is very welcome. Thanks for the insite as I do believe I should take all information I can and make a final decision.

Would anyone be so brave as to give me a price I should shoot for or whats any good prices anyone has recently got when buying their own R3? This would be for a Black/Red 2006 R3 plain. My local dealer is asking $15,999 retail.

Thanks for the help!:)

Last month I bought a new 06 Classic Red & White, and the base price before any accessories was $14890. They previously were marked $16399. I think the dealer was trying to move them out before winter set in.
Dave

:) You should be able to get a deal like TriRocket just mentioned...they don't want 06's on the floor as fall is setting in....should be a good time for you to do some dealing and offering "to help" the dealer out with his inventory situation....It's just pays to do business with a "good" local dealer for everything coming down the road...Mine did me a big favor today by putting on Rivco Risers (I got to help) when I pulled in at noon without a scheduled appointment...They close at 2pm and they stayed until 2:30 while we monkeyed around getting all the cables routed in the right locations...Excellent customer service is really appreciated....

Back