Wouldn't it be nice if you could say to your mechanical engineers," build me a bike that weighs 20 kgs less than our competirion and has 15 more horsepower" then you would have a much better bike! We know that it doesn't work that way and a bike is more than the sum of its parts.
@sonny you might find this article ineresting reading regarding peak numbers that people or manufacturers post. Understanding a Dyno Graph. Peak Numbers Aren’t the Whole Story…
I think that the 2500cc Rocket 3 will be an amazing beast with real world streetable killer power and handling that will put the present generation Rockets on the trailer but..........I could be wrong for a change.

P.S. Many years ago when I bought my first Hinckley Triumph, just for the heck of it, I overlaid the dyno charts of a 900 Sprint against a Yamaha YZF 750. Surprisingly the Sprint made more horsepower than the Yammy up to 8,000 rpm at which point the Sprint was running out of steam whilst the Yamaha's power was still heading to the stars. In a race the YZF would eat the sprint but in the real world of highway riding the Sprint was a fast easy to ride bike not requiring stirring the shifter constantly to make headway. Triumph has maintained that streetable type of power in every bike they build to date. They also know a bit about racing and the current MotoGP 2 race series uses Triumph 765cc three cylinder engines based on their Street Triple RS motor.

Last edited:
oh that tail end. This reminds me of the old Reese's Peanut butter cup commercial.

Two riders pull up to a stop light. Hey! You got your Ducati Diavel in my Triumph Rocket! NO!! You got your Triumph Rocket in my Ducati Diavel!!

I'm sure the design team at Ducati pulled an Austin Powers....hey, oh, what...wait a tick??

Wouldn't it be nice if you could say to your mechanical engineers," build me a bike that weighs 20 kgs less than our competirion and has 15 more horsepower" then you would have a much better bike! We know that it doesn't work that way and a bike is more than the sum of its parts.
@sonny you might find this article ineresting reading regarding peak numbers that people or manufacturers post. Understanding a Dyno Graph. Peak Numbers Aren’t the Whole Story…
I think that the 2500cc Rocket 3 will be an amazing beast with real world streetable killer power and handling that will put the present generation Rockets on the trailer but..........I could be wrong for a change.

P.S. Many years ago when I bought my first Hinckley Triumph, just for the heck of it, I overlaid the dyno charts of a 900 Sprint against a Yamaha YZF 750. Surprisingly the Sprint made more horsepower than the Yammy up to 8,000 rpm at which point the Sprint was running out of steam whilst the Yamaha's power was still heading to the stars. In a race the YZF would eat the sprint but in the real world of highway riding the Sprint was a fast easy to ride bike not requiring stirring the shifter constantly to make headway. Triumph has maintained that streetable type of power in every bike they build to date. They also know a bit about racing and the current MotoGP 2 race series uses Triumph 765cc three cylinder engines based on their Street Triple RS motor.

My buddy and I referred to the Sprint as having an electric motor, the power was so linear, it just pulled at the same power from bottom to top.

Went ahead and did a little research. Company specs which means reality may be different but you can get the idea. Diavel 1260 cc 159 HP at 481 pounds dry weight. New Rockets (not the TFC) 164 HP at 648 pounds dry weight. Both very similar in design. Not that much of a difference when it comes to horsepower but big difference in weight. Granted the Rocket has more torque but weighs in a good deal more. Thruxton (not the TFC) 96 HP. Could not find dry weight of the Thruxton but the T120 is 224 KG. Indian Scout 100 HP with a dry weight of 239KG. Just keeping it real. The TFC version of the thruxton has 107 HP. Which is impressive but looking at the price tag of the TFC in relationship to the Scout it is not all that. A good set of aftermarket pipes and the Scout is there at a two thirds of the cost. We are not even going to mention the Yamaha V-Max. Yes I like my Rocket X a lot. By far the best i have owned but numbers are numbers and facts are facts. Another fact is both the Diavel and the Scout have strong aftermarket support. The Thruxton very little and the new Rocket none so far. Price wise the Diavel are at around $20,000 which is going to be close to what the 2020 rockets will run. Image that a Saturday night and cold sober. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
Well,,,,,,,,
DAVIEL.JPG

Back