Looking for advice

Dougl, the tune is from Hanso , modified from a Blastedbones tune I think? and the idle is 850..... I have difficulty staying there ( stumbles to 700 or so)....

Dougl, the tune is from Hanso , modified from a Blastedbones tune I think? and the idle is 850..... I have difficulty staying there ( stumbles to 700 or so)....

Why don't you try loading the tune I posted. If you still have idle problems, it could be a hardware issue (idle stepper motor?)/

well, I reinstalled the O2 sensor, reinstalled the tune, did the 12 min tune & no change. it almost sounds like a "knock" when the idle stumbles, My next move is to check vacuum lines ( if I can find them) & check the leads to spark plugs?? ( yes, no ?? ) any other ideas??

This sounds all to familiar. It's the tune most likely. I went down the same road you are going with my Roadster. I talked to Hans about it and we never could but a finger on it. I had the bike at two different dealerships trying to get it to idle back smooth again and they really couldn't tell me what they did to fix it. They adjusted the stepper motor in which it last about 6 days and was back doing it again. They checked everything that could be checked and all they did was reinstall the FACTORY tune and reinstalled the O2 sensor in which I took out and plugged. By the way.... make sure you put anti sieze on the threads of bung plug because I was going to reinstall my O2 sensor and the plug would not come out. I had the dealership to fix it since I didn't have the proper tools. They striped the bung out trying to get the plug loose and had to use a Helicoil to reinstall the O2 sensor. I'm back in business now. However I seriously doubt the anti sieze will help... the bung plug got so hot on the tip that it swelled and stayed swelled therefore making it impossible to unloosen. I will never attempt to plug the bung again.

If your bike runs rich when idling most likely the plugs are fouled. Mine was... all of them. You should check your plugs and make sure they are good before continuing.

Now since I know what causes the erratic idling (the tune) I don't sweat it anymore. I just hook up the computer, switch tunes via TuneECU and go about my business. Hanso was going to try to make a tune in which will employ the O2 sensor, still make good power, and not have the erratic idle. From my understanding the 02 sensor is only in use at idle anyways.... not at WOT. Correct me if wrong since I'm not a mechanic anyone. lol

I don't know how fast the O2 sensor will lean out the tune but it's just a loss I will have to accept.

Also I have found that turning the switch to "on" and leaving it there for at least 30 seconds before hitting the "start" button helps "cancel" out the erratic idle. Mine does it on cold start only and sometimes in which is far between while hot.

Also I would install a tune at evening time.... bike would run fine... thinking I have solved the erratic idle problem.... the next morning it would do the same **** thing again! This gets old quick!

I wished I have never touched my bike. When I buy another motorcycle new I will not do anything to it except ride it!

As I understand it the OEM O2 sensor does control the smooth Idle AFR and if you disconnect it from the harness the ECU will go to error as in O2 sensor malfunction..

I think you would need a O2 sensor Dongle connected to fool the ECU into believing it is still connected.. maybe you could refit it and clear any ECU error as a test.

If I am incorrect someone will advise..
JM2CW

I'm thinking he more than likely plugged in a "O2 OPTIMIZER" so the ECU wouldn't throw a code. Lets hope so anyways. lol

roadster

Hi I did the triple filters , tors, secondaries removed ect. but just went straight for a PC v, which was custom mapped for me by the supplier. and it was blob on out of the box. mind when i had it on the dyno the bloke said lot more power up the rev range, but i'm happy with what iv'e got now.
cheers
:bch:

yes they are still in, but opened 100% in the tune :confused:

Curses I thought I had it. Even when you set the secondaries to 100%, when you're at idle in neutral they close to about 40%. This isn't in any table you can change, so I don't see how it's tune related. I had the O2 off on a R3 for years and it idled fine. Idle speed is a function of temperature.

well, I loaded a tune from Dougl that he gave me, it still had a stumble in the idle enough of one that it quit during a 12 min tune. I thought it might be plug related so I changed plugs, they all looked good,a nice tan color,except on had a almost closed gap. reloaded tune and set ISVC & Adaptives........ still stumbled....quit again during min. tune... relaoded Blastedbones tune from Hanso & did all resets... still stumbles but got through the 12 min. tune,,,, will road test on Sat... 300.km. trip planned... we shall see. . I have a slight backfire through the throttle body, what can cause this, I think I had it all along.:confused:

Back