Longest Life rear tire for Roadster?

Screw it I will get my two cents in. I ride a bit. 15,000 miles on a Rocket X bought in Oct brand new. Never even thought about a car tire for a motorcycle until now. I ride in Oklahoma and most of the roads around here are straight and not very many curves at all. The stock tires were shot at about 6,000 miles. The Avon Cobras are now about shot. I run Michelin tires on the Harley fatboy and get about 12,000 miles on them but they do not make a tire for the X so I have been looking and learning as much as possible about going to the dark-side. Lets face it, the Rocket is not a sport bike not even close. So with all that said I will this weekend buy a car tire for the Rocket X. No I will not take the bike in and have some numb-nuts figure out how to screw up taking the back wheel off and placing it back on the bike (Dealership last time) Made a bracket for the Rocket at work (WELDER BY TRADE) and it will work on getting the bike in the air enough to change out tires without the worry. Am I concerned about how the bike will handle with a car tire? Yes. Is it enough to keep me from going ahead and trying it ? NO. Can I afford a real motorcycle tire? Yes, come now the Harley Fatboy has 85,000 miles on it and bought it new in 2010. and it runs like a screaming ***** which cost a lot of money to maintain that. ENOUGH SAID.

Screw it I will get my two cents in. I ride a bit. 15,000 miles on a Rocket X bought in Oct brand new. Never even thought about a car tire for a motorcycle until now. I ride in Oklahoma and most of the roads around here are straight and not very many curves at all. The stock tires were shot at about 6,000 miles. The Avon Cobras are now about shot. I run Michelin tires on the Harley fatboy and get about 12,000 miles on them but they do not make a tire for the X so I have been looking and learning as much as possible about going to the dark-side. Lets face it, the Rocket is not a sport bike not even close. So with all that said I will this weekend buy a car tire for the Rocket X. No I will not take the bike in and have some numb-nuts figure out how to screw up taking the back wheel off and placing it back on the bike (Dealership last time) Made a bracket for the Rocket at work (WELDER BY TRADE) and it will work on getting the bike in the air enough to change out tires without the worry. Am I concerned about how the bike will handle with a car tire? Yes. Is it enough to keep me from going ahead and trying it ? NO. Can I afford a real motorcycle tire? Yes, come now the Harley Fatboy has 85,000 miles on it and bought it new in 2010. and it runs like a screaming ***** which cost a lot of money to maintain that. ENOUGH SAID.
I can't afford a motorcycle tire, too much money:(

Us POOR OKIES ARE IN THE SAME BOAT.:eek::eek::eek::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

That's what I did. Read a lot. Heard lots of "yes" and "no" opinions, then tried it myself. Good way to go. I put mine and thought two things ... first, **** that looks fine. Second, wow does it resist low speed turns. Dropped the psi down from what the tire wanted by about 4 psi and that low speed turn resist all but melted away. Sill she does ride a bit different, as one would expect. But ya gotta try it to decide if you like it or not.

That's what I did. Read a lot. Heard lots of "yes" and "no" opinions, then tried it myself. Good way to go. I put mine and thought two things ... first, **** that looks fine. Second, wow does it resist low speed turns. Dropped the psi down from what the tire wanted by about 4 psi and that low speed turn resist all but melted away. Sill she does ride a bit different, as one would expect. But ya gotta try it to decide if you like it or not.
****!!!NOW I'M INTERESTED!!!...ok, whats the "Dark Side" tyre I should be looking for to go on my Roadster when my max is done?...size and make please boys...

Yes, I know there are lots of tire threads. And yes, I have searched them. Most seem far more focused on handling and performance than life. Stock Metzler is terrible for life, at 6k or so for a tire and $300 a tire, I would have to sell the bike-can't afford the $$ or time to deal with replacing a tire every 2-3 months. I understand the Bridgestone Excedra Max is about the longest lasting, but I haven't seen much on how many miles riders are getting with them. If you are running them (or Cobras if they actually do better for life) please post how many miles you are getting out of a one.

I commute 100 miles a day and ride weekends, so 2-3k a month is typical. I want to see at least 15k miles out of a back tire. I just threw on a Darkside last week. I love the cost, expect I will love the life, but don't care that much for the handling. It wanders with uneven road surfaces (especially on dirt roads) and takes effort to hold against a crowned road. Not bad and manageable, but noticeable. I'd prefer a round tire, but if I can't get 15-20k out of one I'll stay square.

Thanks.
Me too. This thread is exactly what I need ...

got a Bridgestone Excedra Max on the back doing both HWY and Twisties still got plenty of tread left its done about 10ks, Just put a Cobra on the front its done about 1500ks seems all good so far.

Last edited:
Back