busa

Thanks flip: Yes the busa was a rush at 150 mph but the rockets a rush at 15 mph. ohhh the torque.Have to say i think the rockets have the most USABLE power band of anything i've ever ridden or drove. Best bang for the buck.....Jack

Just a suggestion

Busa, I am taking mind to a local Iron Horse dealer. He sells customs with 280's and 300's. I checked with both Japanese shops in my area and they said they could do it but hesitated a little when I told them the size. Believe it or not the custom shop was much cheaper. $37.00 to mount and balance.......

In a nutshell......

Britman:

A regular automotive tire machine like an old Coats 10-10 will do the job just fine. Any automotive garage can change it and computer balance it too. I think Tomo uses the tire machine at the dealership (moonlight basis only:D ).

You just have to be cautious not to scratch the rim, but the newer tire machines are designed for aluminum rims (that's about all you see on cars today) and the slightly larger than 7" rim width on the R3 is right in the automotive ballpark. I wouldn't be surprised if the custom shop takes their remounts over to the nearest Wally World and have them done.

Most bike shops have tire machines that don't have enough capacity (length of center mandrel) to accommodate a 7" wide rim and when they try to dismount/remount the tire, they wind up gouging the rim.

I suspect you could get one of the manual tire machines from Harbor Fright (misspelled purposely) so long as the center mandrel/spindle is long enough to allow the breaker bar to fit without catching the side of the rim, mount it to your living room floor (kidding) and do your own tires. You'd still have to get it balanced with stick-on weights, but any tire shop today has a spin balancer and adhesive weights. Aluminum alloy automotive wheels have dictated stick on weights and spin balancers. Regular clip-on weights will eventually cause electrolysis between the steel clip and the aluminum rim exacerbated by the ice melter applied to roads and moisture.

rear tire

Well its on and not even a scratch to the rim.My old friends at the local kawasaki dealer did it for $239 for everything.While I was there I sat on a new ZX14.Ok i won't go there.They mark and put the new one on in exactly the same place, and when balancing dont even have to move the weights.Got 5000 out of it,the busa only got 3000.So I guess thats not to bad.They did have a few choice words for thar tire while doing it. Jack

Back