License Plate and Rear Turn Signal Mod

This is my unexpensive mod ...just 10 dollars for a crom plate lateral mount and adding some new turn lights...will post when finished, I found some small turn signals and bullets like by here also :D

What can I do with the old plate light? any suggest? :confused:

Finished , don t buy any mounting plates just do it with a piece of stainless steel

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1359040848218.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359040848218.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 256
One of the things I hate the most about a new bike is all the junk that hangs off of the back. Triumphs are some of the worst because of plate holder is large to accommodate plates from around the world. So here is my plate and turn signal mod. Not sure if this is legal where you live so beware it may cause you to attract even more attention.

New Parts Needed:

Side mount license plate holder
Link Removed

Kuryakyn LED bullet turn signals (I used the smooth ones)
Product Page

Kuryakyn lens kit (optional)
Product Page

Electronic Flasher (must be 3 pole IC type)

I removed the four nuts the attached the license plate mount to the rear fender support. Problem is the license plate mount is in between the fender and support so some gentle prodding and pulling is needed. Try removing one side then the other, very carefully. Then snip the turn signal wires as close as you can to the stalks. Make sure to mark which is left and which is right prior to cutting. Remove the license plate light socket from the light housing. I removed the bulb and heat shrunk the license plate light socket and neatly wire tied it above the tail light to the fender support frame to ease return to stock set up if necessary. Replace the four nuts that mount the fender to the frame mount.

You will be removing this:

I noticed that the rear strut cover bolt had enough threads poking through the other side to allow a bracket and nut threaded over. So I had a bracket made with an offset. The bracket goes over not only the threaded bolt but the stud just to the rear to aid in stability.

The turn signal wires are spliced (you can solder or crimp) and sealed with heat shrink tubing. The turn signals come with a fair amount. Don’t forget to thread the tubing and the wires through the bracket prior to splicing. And don’t forget to test to make sure you have right to right and left to left. Mount the brackets and use some locktite on the nut since there isn’t much thread to bite onto. Mount the turn signals to bracket. You can wire tie the wires to the frame under the fender which happens to run to the area I mounted the signals.

You will also notice that the turn signals flash fast now because of the drop in the load require to light the LEDs. The mechanical flasher thinks that there is a bulb burned out so it flashes fast. I preferred the slower flash speed so I replaced the mechanical flasher with an electronic one that can run both incandescent and LED lights. The flasher is located behind the right side cover. Just remove the cover, unplug it and plug in the new flasher. If you have a hard time figuring out which one is the flasher just turn your signal on and follow the clicking noise. Make sure you use a 3 pole flasher.

The side mount license plate holder is very simple to mount. Just remove the bottom shock bolt, mount, adjust to the desired angle, replace bolt and tighten. There is a stud that the bottom of the shock mounts to so there is no tension on the bottom bolt and no need to support anything when removing it.

nice mod,i did the same thing on my 1800 intruder & ill be doing it to the roadster when i finally get her

One of the things I hate the most about a new bike is all the junk that hangs off of the back. Triumphs are some of the worst because of plate holder is large to accommodate plates from around the world. So here is my plate and turn signal mod. Not sure if this is legal where you live so beware it may cause you to attract even more attention.

New Parts Needed:

Side mount license plate holder
Link Removed

Kuryakyn LED bullet turn signals (I used the smooth ones)
Product Page

Kuryakyn lens kit (optional)
Product Page

Electronic Flasher (must be 3 pole IC type)

I removed the four nuts the attached the license plate mount to the rear fender support. Problem is the license plate mount is in between the fender and support so some gentle prodding and pulling is needed. Try removing one side then the other, very carefully. Then snip the turn signal wires as close as you can to the stalks. Make sure to mark which is left and which is right prior to cutting. Remove the license plate light socket from the light housing. I removed the bulb and heat shrunk the license plate light socket and neatly wire tied it above the tail light to the fender support frame to ease return to stock set up if necessary. Replace the four nuts that mount the fender to the frame mount.

You will be removing this:

I noticed that the rear strut cover bolt had enough threads poking through the other side to allow a bracket and nut threaded over. So I had a bracket made with an offset. The bracket goes over not only the threaded bolt but the stud just to the rear to aid in stability.

The turn signal wires are spliced (you can solder or crimp) and sealed with heat shrink tubing. The turn signals come with a fair amount. Don’t forget to thread the tubing and the wires through the bracket prior to splicing. And don’t forget to test to make sure you have right to right and left to left. Mount the brackets and use some locktite on the nut since there isn’t much thread to bite onto. Mount the turn signals to bracket. You can wire tie the wires to the frame under the fender which happens to run to the area I mounted the signals.

You will also notice that the turn signals flash fast now because of the drop in the load require to light the LEDs. The mechanical flasher thinks that there is a bulb burned out so it flashes fast. I preferred the slower flash speed so I replaced the mechanical flasher with an electronic one that can run both incandescent and LED lights. The flasher is located behind the right side cover. Just remove the cover, unplug it and plug in the new flasher. If you have a hard time figuring out which one is the flasher just turn your signal on and follow the clicking noise. Make sure you use a 3 pole flasher.

The side mount license plate holder is very simple to mount. Just remove the bottom shock bolt, mount, adjust to the desired angle, replace bolt and tighten. There is a stud that the bottom of the shock mounts to so there is no tension on the bottom bolt and no need to support anything when removing it.

nice mod,i did the same thing on my 1800 intruder & ill be doing it to the roadster when i finally get her

I know this is an old thread but I read all the responses and didn't see one that was done like mine thought I would share it. I used the original license plate bracket and I modified it by cutting it a little bit shorter than stock and then mounted an LED license plate frame with turn signals auxiliary brake light and license plate light built in. I mounted
20150321_213914.jpg
20150411_123922.jpg
20140611_194553.jpg
20150411_194749.jpg
my inspection sticker off the left bottom shock mount. I

I'm waiting for my new carpenter exhaust system to arrive so that's also one of the things that's missing off the pictures above

I know this is an old thread but I read all the responses and didn't see one that was done like mine thought I would share it. I used the original license plate bracket and I modified it by cutting it a little bit shorter than stock and then mounted an LED license plate frame with turn signals auxiliary brake light and license plate light built in. I mounted
20150321_213914.jpg
20150411_123922.jpg
20140611_194553.jpg
20150411_194749.jpg
my inspection sticker off the left bottom shock mount. I

Name and location of that license plate frame, PLEASE?

I didn't notice that picture I posted was when I had just installed the license plate frame and I didn't have my tail lights hooked up here is a picture with both of them operating
20150406_210753.jpg

Back