Keeping track of voltage--at what point?

HxNutMike

.040 Over
Ride
2022 Rocket 3 GT
I added a voltage gauge/USB charging outlet to my last bike, wired to leads off the ignition switch, and I'm considering adding one to the R3.

Lots of you guys must have added one as well, at least a volt gauge so you know what the output is as you're riding--so, at what point in the wiring did you tap into to track the voltage? And why did you choose that location? Looking forward to your responses. Thanks.

I added a voltage gauge/USB charging outlet to my last bike, wired to leads off the ignition switch, and I'm considering adding one to the R3.

Lots of you guys must have added one as well, at least a volt gauge so you know what the output is as you're riding--so, at what point in the wiring did you tap into to track the voltage? And why did you choose that location? Looking forward to your responses. Thanks.

I never saw the point of monitoring voltage until recently, i have an aftermarket gauge cluster thanks to @mitzy. And notived as i was riding in South Island my voltage creeping down. At a pub we found the regulator/rectifier had "magically" (read my own incompetence) become unplugged. Without meter would have ground to a halt somewhere with no means of restart. Cluster is a Dakota nice unit too.

That's exactly why I like having gauges--lots of handy info that let's me know the bike's operating within proper parameters. I'd love oil pressure and coolant temp gauges, too.

I recently installed a voltmeter with cigarette and USB power ports. I wired the pos and neg leads directly to a fuse block that is attached directly to the battery to insure the best reading....or so I believe. I just bought another one that is an improved design because the on/off switch has been moved from behind the unit to the top where you can see it and easily turn it off.....plus the cap over the voltmeter now has a clear window so you do not need to remove the protective cap. Haven't installed the new one yet but in the picture I added my watch to give it some scale. Pictures attached......if I'm lucky. With engine off battery usually reads between 12.5 to 13.0 volts, engine at idle typically reads 14.5 to as high as 14.7.

20181122_110407.jpg 20181122_110437.jpg 20181122_110607.jpg 20181122_111040.jpg 20181122_111112.jpg

Last edited:
Back