Forward foot control effect on choice of bike.

Micksan

Supercharged
Ride
2023 Triumph R3 GT, 2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT,
I stood around the dealer when the New R3 versions came out about 4 years ago. I did not want to jump in until I was sure the company had improved. I am looking at a leftover 2023 with the forward foot controls. Looks good and the price has been reduced.
Let me throw out this question for a start. The dealer has 4 or 5 R3s on the floor, but only one with the extended foot controls. It has been on the floor for the longest time. Not the only dealer with this problem. I can guess why but, would like info from better informed. Keep your fingers crossed that this deal will work out.
Also, I wear a prosthetic below the knee on the right side. I was told my days of MC riding were over. That was almost 40 years ago. I was stupid to listen to them for about 6 months. On every other bike, I have had to modify the rear brake. This one allows me to use it w/o the modification. BTW I am 6ft 3 with long legs.
Thanks in advance
Russ From OKC, OK

Forward or rearward foot pegs/controls are very much an individual choice.

I am also 6ft 3 ins tall and have a 35" inseam. I ride with mid controls, which I prefer, but i've ridden the forward control set up also, and it feels pretty good from a handling/control point of view.
I just don't like the feet forward thing, myself. It's not my thing.

The mid controls are just about ok ergonomically for my leg length, but it could be better.

Some folks have improved things by getting their seat re-worked to get a higher seat height and still run with mid controls.

Everything is interchangeable ultimately so you can change/modify/swap-out till it suits what you end up preferring over time.

My advice is to have a test ride on both, unless from experience, you already know which would work best for you.

Forward or rearward foot pegs/controls are very much an individual choice.

I am also 6ft 3 ins tall and have a 35" inseam. I ride with mid controls, which I prefer, but i've ridden the forward control set up also, and it feels pretty good from a handling/control point of view.
I just don't like the feet forward thing, myself. It's not my thing.

The mid controls are just about ok ergonomically for my leg length, but it could be better.

Some folks have improved things by getting their seat re-worked to get a higher seat height and still run with mid controls.

Everything is interchangeable ultimately so you can change/modify/swap-out till it suits what you end up preferring over time.

My advice is to have a test ride on both, unless from experience, you already know which would work best for you.
Thanks for your input. I sat on both bike styles. Left leg no problem >>BUT the right leg with the artificial lower leg & foot, would not go for the center fit.

Thanks for your input. I sat on both bike styles. Left leg no problem >>BUT the right leg with the artificial lower leg & foot, would not go for the center fit.
You're welcome.
I'm deducing from your postings that you are an experienced biker and you already have a pretty good impression of which version will be the closest fit for you.

Cheers,
Jagster :thumbsup:

You're welcome.
I'm deducing from your postings that you are an experienced biker and you already have a pretty good impression of which version will be the closest fit for you.

Cheers,
Jagster :thumbsup:
Started riding in 1961. Right I do have a pretty good feel for what I want. BUT before laying out the money I want to get as much info on the bike & dealer.

Started riding in 1961. Right I do have a pretty good feel for what I want. BUT before laying out the money I want to get as much info on the bike & dealer.
One of the big give-aways that made me very sure about you're acumen regarding biking was that you defied the so called experts and got back to riding a bike.
For that, you have my highest respect.
I hope you get the bike you are hoping for and that it fully lives up to your expectations.

For what it's worth, I can tell you that I'm very much enjoying mine. A 2020 Rocket 3R with mid controls but with GT bars & GT seat.
The seating position is a little bit on the cramped side, but by sitting well back in the seat, my lower back/pelvis is well supported by the rear shape of the seat and over all it makes for a very versatile ergonomic set up for pretty much all types of riding except for long high speed motorway stints, as I get a lot of wind force on my upper body and neck/shoulders. I can crouch down to compensate for the wind forces, but it's not ideal......would be worse, however if it was a feet forward set up in my opinion.
My objective isn't sustained high speeds anyway, and as it's incredibly enjoyable at all the other types of riding, I don't really have any complains or regrets about buying the bike. Only a big smile on my face when i'm out on it. Which is the main thing. Life is too short to not enjoy the ride, right? :cool:

Back