Keeping chrome rust free

Dalan

Supercharged
Ride
2015 R3R
Looking for a protectant to stop rust.

Moved to the Pacific Northwest several years ago. I was surprised at the rust on my Goldwing pipes and motorcycle trailer chrome wheels.

I got the rust specks off the GW pipes before I sold it, using gojo cleaner and mothers. I am not sure if I want to just use automotive wax or what. I try to get the bike out every couple of weeks year round. I don't put her away until spring.

Never a problem in the Arizona desert. I am guessing folks in England and parts of New Zealand and Washington state in the Rain Forest area must have similar problems.

What are you folks doing? I do not have a heated area for storage.

i wash and dry my bike thoroughly and use a wax polish on the chrome. As long as it has good coating/protection, that usually is sufficient. In the UK they use salt on the roads in winter. When ridingin such conditions, I always make sure the bike has a good wash and hose down, then dried before putting away.

Moved to the Pacific Northwest several years ago. I was surprised at the rust on my Goldwing pipes and motorcycle trailer chrome wheels.
I got the rust specks off the GW pipes before I sold it, using gojo cleaner and mothers. I am not sure if I want to just use automotive wax or what. I try to get the bike out every couple of weeks year round. I don't put her away until spring.
Never a problem in the Arizona desert. I am guessing folks in England and parts of New Zealand and Washington state in the Rain Forest area must have similar problems.

I choose to use a garage to store all my motors and my Jeep.
Wife's car sits out . . . I never have rust issues. :eek: :p :evil: :roll: :banghead:

Our cars sit in the rain. My bikes have always been under cover.

Hope to install a door wide enough to put it in a storage room, just off the basement garage of our outbuilding. As soon as I get concrete poured. It is stored in our steel barn on concrete right now.

Our cars sit in the rain. My bikes have always been under cover.
Hope to install a door wide enough to put it in a storage room, just off the basement garage of our outbuilding. As soon as I get concrete poured. It is stored in our steel barn on concrete right now.

WOW!
You keep your motor inside and still have rust issues? :confused:
Roof leaks? :rolleyes: :p

Be happy you dont have an H-D. Based on the bikes my friends have it looks like their chrome is from China. Flaking and turning white. At least if you are seeing rust you know there is some steel, nickle and Chromium on the bike.

Back