I am going to start installing the tripple K&N's. plus the other 2 filters.

While I have it torn down down I have a few linkage parts the need some attention. I will put them in my tumbler and clean then up, mayby paint them black

I hope that dang cable comes in so I can change the tune for the Ol'Girl

It is going to be 50 tomorrow so I just might take the Ol'Girl for a short ride. Oh I did the 12 min tune after the pipe change.

I'll let you know about the fuel issue.

Curious if your black Jardine heat shields were all black or just painted chrome.

I found that 3 of the 6 header shields were actually chromed then painted. I assume out of laziness. Those three quickly greyed, then flaked. Now chrome shows through. Doesn't matter much since I wrapped them. I did, however, use a couple of the shields for a little added protection. I think it makes the header look pretty cool as well.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353805705.246944.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353805748.171374.jpg

Still don't know why the wrap looks so light. I tried to use a different light source and not use the flash. The wrap looks much darker in person.

Easy install Jardines

Just an easier way to install Jardine pipes on a Rocket 3

Remove all the parts from the box and plastic wrap package.

Place all parts on carpet or cut open box and use that.

Take the header and fit it to the chrome right side muffler, making sure it will slide on.

Take the header and fit it to engine and snug bolt. make sure that the header does not contact any part of the engine. I used a brass bar and tapped the end of the header for a nice ring tone. If it makes a thud sound the header is touching something.

Remove the header and install the chrome heat shelds. I installed the upper hose clamps with all the heads toward the front end.

The lower hose clamps on the front two headers shields I installed the clamps with the bolt facing down.

The last lower heat sheild hose clamp I nstalled it facing up.

Snug up the hose clamps to allow them to set the shape of the header pipe.

Loosen the hose clamps slighty so they can be moved by bumping them with a brass bar.

Install the header on to the engine, as you tighten up the header flange bolts make sure all hose clamps are not hitting the engine block. Just tap them with brass bar to clear engine.

Torque headerbolts to correct spec. then adjust hose clamps to where you like them and tighten. When tight tap end of header with brass bar for clear ring.

Install both muffler heat shields on to the mufflers. Tighten hose clamps to set the shape, then loosen. I mounted the hose clamps heads down.

Remove the reat foot peg and remove the old muffler brackets. Loosen the chrome covers that the foot pegs are attached, do not remove the cover

Use High temp copper RTV, coat the inside of the mufflet inlet with RTV then apply a thin coat to the outside of the header.

Slide the muffler onto the header,once started take the foot peg and put it through chrome cover then through muffler bracket, then througn frame..Start foot peg nut. when finger tight use a small rubber mallet and tap under the muffler where it goes into the header. This will set the correct depth of the header into the muffler. Tighten the foot peg nut and the 2 chrome cover screws

Place the T-bar clamp on the cross over pipe. Remove the other side rear foot peg and loosen the chrome cover screws. Remove the old muffler bracket.

Coat the muffler inlet with the RTV sealer, just start the muffler on the cross over pipe. Put the foot peg into chrome cover then into the new muffler bracket and into frame, start foot peg nut. Snug foot peg nut finger tight

Tighten the T-bar clamp over the muffler/crossover pipe. Tighten foot peg nut and chrome cover screws

Start at the headers and work your way all the way to the back checking tightness of all nuts, clamps , bolts and screws.

wipe down with all chrome with a good cleaner. I used 99% IPA.

Then install the last 4 pieces of the chrome. 3 header and the Y pipe cover with the screws and washers. wipe those down

You are done.

new gaskets?

Joey, thanks for the writeup, I will need it when I install my new Jardines.
Did you use new header to engine gaskets?
And did you use a bit of copper RTV sealer on those gaskets?
Where did you get them from?
Mac

Macrider

The only place I used the RTV was the header to the right muffler and from the cross over pipe to the left muffler.

I just used the same gaskets that was on the stock exhaust log.

the hard part is after everything is together is waiting for the RTV to cure overnight before you start the engine. RTV is the only thing holding the header to the muffler inlet.
Let it set over night before you start the engine.....No leaks:D

After reading all of this thread, I think I will pass on the Jardines. If and when I do install a set of headers, I will either build a set or have a custom "Equal length" set made. Right now the bike runs just fine for what I use it for. Hell in a couple of years it will be too heavy for me and I will go smaller anyway. Maybe a Dyna series Harley or a new Busa. Who knows. I new Toyota FJ Cruiser is starting to look pretty good right now.

I found my new in the box Jardines for $825 to my door. That is why I got them.

If you look close at them...the welding is poor quality and some of the chrome too.

I would not want my name on them looking like that. With that said, I love the sound and added performance.

I am on SS so I don't have the money to buy custom made ...Hell just struggling to get by now...Took 10 months to save up for the jardines

Back