The way i check for bad cats & mufflers is to give a good kick. if it rattles then the inside is loose.
some times if u take your hand and bump around on stuff u can find some thing loose.

Check the baffels one might have deteariated and is loose.
ok I will..... but what makes me think engine internals is the fact that I feel the slamming noise through the footpegs but do not hear it ( for lack of better interpretation) also it is not present in a specific range of RPM I only feel it in 4th and 5th from 2200 rpm on and it is very irregular I think if it was exhaust related it would happen in any gear from that 2200 prpm

I got Jardines, I reckon someday I will have to drill out the rivets and pull the baffles to rewrap them. It's not beyond possibility that at some point the bike popped so bad as to loosen a baffle. The tune that is often used with these pipes is tad too lean, and you don't know it until you hear the decel popping, and modify the tune to enrich the mixture. If there's no popping of that nature for you, it doesn't mean there never was. I am at a loss what else could do what you describe though I shudder to let my imagination run wild. When it comes to diagnosing things for me, the trick is to eliminate the simplest things first. You may cure the problem, before you get too far into money and if it turns out to be an expensive fix, you won't have spent another fortune just looking.

I got Jardines, I reckon someday I will have to drill out the rivets and pull the baffles to rewrap them. It's not beyond possibility that at some point the bike popped so bad as to loosen a baffle. The tune that is often used with these pipes is tad too lean, and you don't know it until you hear the decel popping, and modify the tune to enrich the mixture. If there's no popping of that nature for you, it doesn't mean there never was. I am at a loss what else could do what you describe though I shudder to let my imagination run wild. When it comes to diagnosing things for me, the trick is to eliminate the simplest things first. You may cure the problem, before you get too far into money and if it turns out to be an expensive fix, you won't have spent another fortune just looking.
the more I think of it the less I think it comes from the pipes I did check the exhaust totally solid as a rock on each side . nothing loose nothing shaking anywhere from headers to tip problem is not the pipes period. back to the board tomorrow morning I will drop the sump and see if there is metal chunks in there

this post is addressed to any jardine equipped rocket 3's owners
the experienced mechanic who took my bike for a ride to determine the cause of the slamming noise I heard when riding specifically in 4th and 5th when loading the engine from 2100 RPM .... according to him it is NOT from the gearbox but most likely from the exhaust !!!! therefore any captain riding with jardine pipes heard this before?? I am puzzled as the noise is not something I would expect from pipes , being very metallic in feel and felt strongly through the footpegs .chime in if you heard of felt this noise/ slam before..on your rocket3
if it proved to be the case........I saved a huge bundle of cash:D if it is really from the exhaust although now if it is proved from the pipes something will have to be done ....like maybe getting a new pipe!!:roll:
Sounds a bit like the harsh feeling I get through the foot pegs on my 2010 Roadster. Mine is coming from the clutch, next time you notice it try pulling the clutch a bit. Just take up the free play and the harsh vibration will go away. Mine has done it from new, been back to Triumph they rode it for a week then told me they all do it but only some riders notice it. Didn't believe them but it is still going and still doing it. A few others have mentioned they have the same thing over the years.

Sounds a bit like the harsh feeling I get through the foot pegs on my 2010 Roadster. Mine is coming from the clutch, next time you notice it try pulling the clutch a bit. Just take up the free play and the harsh vibration will go away. Mine has done it from new, been back to Triumph they rode it for a week then told me they all do it but only some riders notice it. Didn't believe them but it is still going and still doing it. A few others have mentioned they have the same thing over the years.
Yep - i feel it.

aha!! there might5 be something there... I will take it on ride and check that out thanks for the info

the more I think of it the less I think it comes from the pipes I did check the exhaust totally solid as a rock on each side . nothing loose nothing shaking anywhere from headers to tip problem is not the pipes period. back to the board tomorrow morning I will drop the sump and see if there is metal chunks in there

If your pipes are solid/nothing shaking, it would disturb me that the mechanic told you so without checking that. I realize he just said "most likely" but, d@mn! most likely means maybe he should have verified it instead of just handing it back over to you ???????? o_O
Might have saved you from a wild goose chase :cautious:
Sorry, just felt like crackin smack at somebody other than "my perfect self" :rolleyes: o_O :p

If your pipes are solid/nothing shaking, it would disturb me that the mechanic told you so without checking that. I realize he just said "most likely" but, d@mn! most likely means maybe he should have verified it instead of just handing it back over to you ???????? o_O
Might have saved you from a wild goose chase :cautious:
Sorry, just felt like crackin smack at somebody other than "my perfect self" :rolleyes: o_O :p

someone here on the forum claimed a similar situation and believed the clutch is the culprit I will ride and when the slapping start pull in the free play on the clutch and see if it changes the situation ,
I opened the sump ( 21 bolts ) and all is clean down there so at least no metal shaving , that already is a relief.. thanks for the support. and I missed the RAA XI because I presumed to have a major gearing problem ..:mad:

Back