It's official we are entered for Bonneville Speedweek in 2023!

...If I break my Concours 1400 wheel conversion this year, I'll definitely give ya a call. :)

Also, you shouldn't need slicks if you do not plan on running over 200 mph.... a ZR rated radial is generally accepted up to the double ton mark by the SCTA/AMA/FIM.

There is no 240 R16 that is ZR, sadly.

Also... Bingo.

Last edited:
...If I break my Concours 1400 wheel conversion this year, I'll definitely give ya a call. :)

Also, you shouldn't need slicks if you do not plan on running over 200 mph.... a ZR rated radial is generally accepted up to the double ton mark by the SCTA/AMA/FIM.
Yep but we need some margin in case Mufasa wants a real big bite of speed. It would be a shame to leave some miles per hour out there because we were limited by the tire rating.

Yep but we need some margin in case Mufasa wants a real big bite of speed. It would be a shame to leave some miles per hour out there because we were limited by the tire rating.
I'm allllll about overkill, I get it. :) Keep in mind that a vehicle on the decent salt/dirt will continue to accelerate up to about 7% or so wheel slip; I always reduce my "maximum theoretical gearing" by 7% to give a more realistic maximum MPH for that surface.

Another fun fact: On a nekkid bike about this size we needed about 240hp to get into the 187 mph range... somewhere between that and 280hp to find the 208mph mark. (bike actally made over 300, but at that point the motor was pretty hurt, which actually helped it hook up a little bit). That was on one of our turbo Dyna's with a real good front fender, lowered, and a chopped tank, but she is a pretty wide girl.

What the actual terminal speed will be is very hard to say, my bike is quite different from previous record setter configration's on R3s.

Fairing, less weight, different fenders, better tires, 6" rear wheel, engine build etc.

One of the misleading things is the last Dyno I posted. The 251/188 plot is not what the bike makes, but it's what I posted :cool:

I've had it at 183 mph and it wasn't done yet back when I was around 230whp, salt is different so who knows lol.

Could be the differences amount to nothing. Only one way to find out ;)

-------
Ordered a Racebox today.
front.png

Can configure the distance so it will record max velocity/time across the distance set (up to 10 miles) as well as provide a very accurate speed to Justdad.

While my homebrew version is more feature complete, this is just plain easier lol.

Last edited:
For reasons, it's a huge PITA to get to my upper fork tube section just below the tapered area for the top triple clamp.

Can anyone out there measure the diameter of the fork in that area and confirm/deny it is 60mm please?

I found it's 58mm according to my old numbers I measured, now ordering up a test piece, then if 58mm is confirmed to fit, will be snagging some clip-ons and I've found some clamps for steering damper in the correct size in case anyone is looking, nicer than the bulky versions I was able to find previously:

I guess some sportbike came out with 58mm OD forks finally that led people to start making more 58mm accessories.

Last edited:
Ha! I had to make clip-ons for my first year effort... I couldn't find anything that fit (though I recall it being 60mm or larger... hope I miss-remembered that). Fun fact #2: the steering stem from the triumph triple trees will press into a gen 2 Hayabusa set of tripple trees no problem. You have to extend the hayabusa forks to be long enough for even a lowered rocket 3, but people make those parts too. :) Once you have haybus parts on anything, shopping for aftermarket parts gets much, much easier.

Yeah, I remember looking a few years ago for clipons and none fit that I could find. I'll be pulling my screen mounts off so i can get to the upper forks and double check the diameter. Good to know about the steering stem though!

Fork swap is something I'm trying to avoid for a variety of reasons, so if clipons aren't going to work out, I'll go with plan A; a flat bar mounted with some...creativity to get it to sit where I want.

Back