FittedBuckle

.020 Over
Ride
2015 Triumph Rocket 3 Touring
Hey everyone. A couple months ago I had issues getting my Rocket to start. Someone suggested checking the battery which I did and the battery is fine so I'll try to better describe the problem.

When I turn the key to the on position and flip the toggle switch, the fuel pump cycles like normal, but when I press the starter switch the bike doesn't crank. Instead there is a 5 second delay with nothing happening followed by the fuel pump attempting to cycle. It almost sounds like an issue with the starter switch or something with the computer. Has anyone else ever had this issue. I'm trying to get advice online since the nearest Triumph dealership is in Indianapolis which is a 2 hour drive for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Ok. I'll give that a look. I also just read an older post talking about this very issue so your probably on to something. Thank you for your help.

Battery - check voltage at rest and then while trying to start- see what it drops down to while pushing the button.

Clutch switch- try starting while pulling the clutch in and then while moving the lever in/ out. Spray WD40 and work it in/ out. All else fails jumper it out but DO NOT drive around with it jumper.

Side stand switch- same as above.

Relay, swap it with another one.

Doesn't sound like it's got the "clicking issue" which would be relay or Solenoid issue.

Try these things and report back.

Do not spray WD40 on any electronics, use electronics cleaner. (Hexane, it evaporates completely). WD40 leaves a residue that can prevent good contact.

I would bet that Hexane would work well to remove all my wd40 gunk that has accumulate over the last 10 years
Lol

Hey everyone. A couple months ago I had issues getting my Rocket to start. Someone suggested checking the battery which I did and the battery is fine so I'll try to better describe the problem.

When I turn the key to the on position and flip the toggle switch, the fuel pump cycles like normal, but when I press the starter switch the bike doesn't crank. Instead there is a 5 second delay with nothing happening followed by the fuel pump attempting to cycle. It almost sounds like an issue with the starter switch or something with the computer. Has anyone else ever had this issue. I'm trying to get advice online since the nearest Triumph dealership is in Indianapolis which is a 2 hour drive for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Its your battery. Its your battery.

I have to tighten my battery cables about every 6 months on my 2020. The battery set up is hard to get some power behind the tightening. It always works loose to a degree some from the vibration and the other is just the setup.:(
I just replaced the batteries in both my rockets one was around 5 yrs the other barely a year old and kept on a tender so it was absolute rubbish from day one. The 5 year old was a Motobatt so I have new Motobatts in both bikes and crossing my fingers.

Back