Is Harley-Davidson the Worst Motorcycle Money Can Buy?

K^2,
Wow! Your comments read like a description of an Obozo voter! A subjective vote for free stuff with no regard of the details, history or experience of the man!

I believe using your brains to choose a motor vehicle based upon its performance and repair record is paramount. I further believe and agree, that style of motor is indeed subjective; however, to entirely rely on your emotions or visceral appeal is reckless.

My answer to: "would buy another because their efficient people movers? Because they don't have mechanical problems? Because of their performance? Don't make me laugh!" is a resounding YES to each of your criteria! I don't have unlimited funds. I want the biggest bang for my buck and I want NOT to be stranded with a broken down motor.
The best part of the article you cited, in my opinion, is this:

Antilock brakes: A real lifesaver
A welcome trend in motorcycle technology is the growing availability of antilock brakes. Bikes equipped with ABS are 37 percent less likely to be involved in a fatal crash, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

The reason is simple: Locking up the brakes in a panic stop robs the rider of any steering control. That can easily lead to a skid and crash, which can result in serious injury. ABS can help prevent skids and crashes by allowing the rider to retain steering control during an emergency stop, and it can be especially valuable in slippery conditions.

This critical feature is now standard on many high-end models and adds only a few hundred dollars to the price of more basic bikes—a worthwhile investment in your safety.
Thanks for initiating this thread. It is an important one.
Respectfully submitted,
1olbull
PS: Nothing wrong with that Harley 48 Sportster, for what it is. My two young nephews each have one and are having a blast on them. I note that the graph relates cruisers have less issues than the other styles.

How did this become about politics?

My experience is motorcycles aren't a practical purchase for most people. That said, you buy the bike that gives you a boner. If you love what you bought, you'll love using what you bought. I like my r3 because I feel like fing ****ing kong riding down the road every time i ride it.

How did this become about politics?

My experience is motorcycles aren't a practical purchase for most people. That said, you buy the bike that gives you a boner. If you love what you bought, you'll love using what you bought. I like my r3 because I feel like fing ****ing kong riding down the road every time i ride it.

I hear ya on the politics points but contend that a bike is a very practical purchase. At least for those of us fortunate to live where the winters are not too bad. I ride it year round and that saves me money on gas. Down side is that I have to replace tires more often. Your last point; absolutely brother!

Does the word ANALOGY mean anything? :D
It is NOT about politics. I was merely yanking K^2's chain
. :evil:

Harleys... they dont behave like modern cruisers and that is intentional design, the are slow, brakes are ****e , shake and vibrate , but that is the appeal of the Harley brand

My last 2 e-glides shaked and vibrated plenty at idle, but were smooth as silk on the highway and my 2011 ultra limited handled extremely well with the new frame design and dare I say the abs brembo brakes were better than anything I've ever ridden. The stock seat sucked and it was anything but quick -when it was still stock, but had plenty of power to run up pretty much any hill in the NW including Montana and Idaho two up and fully loaded with no problem. I have nothing against Harleys.

I like my rocket too. :)

Last edited:
Back