Instrument cluster gone bad ?

Just came from the bike.

Sure enough, one of the tap wires was rubbed through to bare copper -- probably against paint all this time not making a connection, and when I messed with that area following the vacuum lines, who knows ?

In any case, I wrapped the offending wire in electrical tape and put everything back on.

Waiting for the rain to pass and give it another try - probably in the morning.
Ah thats funny waiting on the rain to pass. Why so the next wave can hit ya:) The rain has only only turned off enough down here to mow every three days. Need some angus :)

Oh and good to here check all bastardized electrical taps so this doesn't happen on a trip!!!!!

Last edited:
Just came from the bike.

Sure enough, one of the tap wires was rubbed through to bare copper -- probably against paint all this time not making a connection, and when I messed with that area following the vacuum lines, who knows ?

In any case, I wrapped the offending wire in electrical tape and put everything back on.

Paul, you are close to here and man have we had a lot of rain this last week.
As @warp9.9 said I prefer to use solder joints and shrink wrap for the connections, with all the vibrations, moisture, etc. a much better reliable connection.
Hope to hear good news from you this weekend.

Rick

Just came from the bike.

Guzzi Dan rode old beaters as long as I can remember, he finally broke down and bought a 2014 California in Jersey, 100 miles into the ride home it died, spent 3 weeks at the dealer, he was depressed, they finally found a wire that rubbed through against the engine case, took so long to find because wire looked fine on side away from engine. Now he's depressed again, lol, his bike seemed fine, but after riding my Rocket, K12, and Blackbird, he says his bike seems like a slow pig that can't get out of it's own way.

Paul, you are close to here and man have we had a lot of rain this last week.
As @warp9.9 said I prefer to use solder joints and shrink wrap for the connections, with all the vibrations, moisture, etc. a much better reliable connection.
Hope to hear good news from you this weekend.

Rick

+ 1 here. Any wiring I add on my bike gets run through black wiring harness tubing to keep things tidy and avoid wire rubs. I use molex connectors quite often for the ease of unhooking and sometimes bullet connectors. All those terminals get soldered (not just crimped) along with some heat shrink tubing. Dielectric grease on everything as well to help prevent moisture and corrosion. I despise scotch locks, crimp connectors and taps except for a temporary fix.

Absolutely nothing but solder and heatshrink tubing for every new connection I add to the bike!!!

Last edited:
3M super 88 is better then 33 because it’s rated for 221 degrees or 103c 33 is a great tape but has no heat rating.
Good point, never tried super 88, have use 33 or super 33 for years the point being there is no comparison with cheap no name tape. Once use use the good stuff you will never go back.

But again all my connections are soldered and heat shrunk.

Rick

BOOM

That wire did it. Who knew ?

Took the bike out this morning, and immediately, speedometer works, self-canceling turn signals work, odometer works, and curiously, GIpro has some dependency because it now works -- no retraining required.

And the cruise control now works too.

Last edited:
Back