Ouch!! A new instrument cluster is how much?!?!

Comotion

.020 Over
Ride
2011 Rocket 3 Touring
I have a 2011 R3T with 6k miles on it. At about 5k, the fuel gauge stopped working. After having everything checked by a certified mechanic (but not Triumph specific), and using Tune ECU (for what that's worth), the issue is likely the instrument cluster.

The Triumph dealer wants $50 to run diagnostics and $489 for the part!!! That seems somewhat criminal. My other concern is that I'm not sure my low fuel light is functioning correctly. I'm getting about 34 mpg, and the low fuel light comes on between 110 and 120 miles. A 5.8 gallon tank at 34 mpg should have a range of 197 miles. Why would the light come on so early?

I really like the bike, but I'm starting to wonder if I made a bad investment due to reliability and a very limited dealer network.

The fuel light should come on with around 2 gallons left in the tank. That can be adjusted by bending the float lever in the tanks. It doesn't take much to adjust it. If the low fuel light comes on then the sender unit is working.

When you say that the gauge is not working, is it always showing full, or empty, or moving all over the place? What is TuneECU telling you?

I would test all connections from the sending unit to the gauge.

I believe the low fuel is light is adjustable, to a degree, has something to do with adjusting the float. And oh, it could be the float that's bad and not the fuel gauge. If it died at 5K though, I'd call that infant death...not unusual....it's worth a diagnostic fee to find out for sure, but once the diagnosis is made you can scour the internet for parts and put them on yourself.

I would be seriously surprised if the cluster is the problem - most fuel level issues are caused by the sensor

The very first thing I would check is Fuse 3 - not saying that is likely the problem but at least validate it's good.

I would be seriously surprised if the cluster is the problem - most fuel level issues are caused by the sensor

The very first thing I would check is Fuse 3 - not saying that is likely the problem but at least validate it's good.

Yep, start with the simple stuff always!

The fuel light should come on with around 2 gallons left in the tank. That can be adjusted by bending the float lever in the tanks. It doesn't take much to adjust it. If the low fuel light comes on then the sender unit is working.

When you say that the gauge is not working, is it always showing full, or empty, or moving all over the place? What is TuneECU telling you?

I would test all connections from the sending unit to the gauge.

Thanks for the info! It always shows empty, and miles to empty is always zero. The mechanic checked all the pins and wiring, and it checked out. He drained the tank and manually raised the float, but the gauge didn't move. Tune ECU did say there was a fuel error, but I don't remember exactly what it said.

I would pay the $50 for the diagnostic and maybe even consider having them install the part if they say it's the cluster. Pricy, but if it turns out their diagnosis is wrong and that's not the problem, at least the part is on their dime and not yours. They can return the cluster and you can't. As for the $489....that sucks, but it is a motorcycle after all and they gotcha.

....... He drained the tank and manually raised the float, but the gauge didn't move. ....

It won't!
The gauge will not register until it accumulates miles - and even then it will progressively come up from zero until it reaches a 'steady' state
The reason is that it averages over a number of samples;
so even a perfectly working system will not register full simply by filling it

For those who might be interested, here are a list of diagnostic codes from my manual. Some codes may only apply to certain models of the Rocket III. Code P0460 Fuel Level Sensor Circuit applies to the touring. Also note which codes will result in the MIL (check engine light) being illuminated or (Ouch!) a flashing light. I hope I never see that code.. P1605!

Attachments

• Codes 1.jpg
    Codes 1.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Codes 2.jpg
    Codes 2.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 10
  • Codes 3.jpg
    Codes 3.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Fuel Level Sensor Touring.jpg
    Fuel Level Sensor Touring.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 10
For those who might be interested, here are a list of diagnostic codes from my manual. Some codes may only apply to certain models of the Rocket III. Code P0460 Fuel Level Sensor Circuit applies to the touring. Also note which codes will result in the MIL (check engine light) being illuminated or (Ouch!) a flashing light. I hope I never see that code.. P1605!

Thank you. Good information for the garage.

Back