Inexpensive Starter Replacement

If you get the 20 rebuild kit off ebay it will have the plunger and some brass pieces youll need to change, then swap gear and bolt it back on. i never thought of just cutting the plunger but if i ever have to and dont have the rebuild kit i will remember that. just posted for more info for those that decide to do it. Several ways to tackle this I reckon.

I'm not sure why you had to do all that? I just swapped the OEM nose piece/ gear onto the new starter and bolted it back on
He did not get the correct toy starter. I got a couple of toy starters but neither lined up correct so got the correct from the auto parts store.
Have some spare parts lol

There is a sticky here that talks about alternate starters.

As I recall, there were three - and the largest of the three required some metal work to create clearance.

The next size up is in the sticky "links" under the forum Rocket III Resources.

The picture of the starter in my post is the old motor and solenoid with the Toyota nose attached. Just put it together to keep all the old pieces in one spot. I bought a new starter and swapped out the nose. This way everything is new. I would have liked to install a new bearing on the bendix but I didn't want to wait and just wanted it back together.

Okay, I just installed the 17774NP (motor only) on Brahma and he started right up. Amazed? I am.

First, I took out the long screws on the OEM motor like @Claviger stated from the starter assembly. I had to use a box end wrench as the open end wrench from Triumph was starting to strip the heads.
20181104_155647.jpg

Then I disconnected this 12mm nut which secures the power cable to the motor.

20181104_160324.jpg

Taking the OEM motor off was tougher than I thought as the exhaust brace was in the way. But, as the motor cover came apart, not a problem any more. I slipped the outer cover off by inserting a straight slot and twisting it to open the gap.

20181104_160738.jpg

Here is the empty slot. Notice the corrosion on the power stud. Clean that off and apply some dielectric grease.

20181104_160855.jpg

The new motor went on quite easy though.

20181104_161213.jpg

I tightened the 12mm nut, recovered with the rubber cover and hit the starter button, all done.

20181104_161643.jpg

Because I am slow, it took me about 25 minutes.
Who did you buy 17774NP starter from???

There is a sticky here that talks about alternate starters.

As I recall, there were three - and the largest of the three required some metal work to create clearance.

The next size up is in the sticky "links" under the forum Rocket III Resources.
THANKS!

The correct part number is 280-0174 from eBay, Advance auto, etc in USA. From a 1999 Toyota Solara 2.2L with 5SFE motor. Details are in post #25 from Taildragger.

---

OK gents, it is time to share a few R3 trick and tips. This is the first - THE STARTER.

The stock starter on the R3 is a 1.2kw Denso unit that is a bit spendy (USD $737.32 plus shipping from Hermey's). Here is how to fix a bad starter for $82.00, or upgrade to a 1.4kw unit (10mm longer, and 16.7% stronger) for $83.70... shipped to your door.

Many automotive engines use a 1.2kw starter, but have a cold weather option using a 1.4kw unit. This is exactly what we need for improved starting in cold weather, or with modified engines.

Remove your starter.
Remove 2 bolts holding starter motor to head plate.
Remove 2 bolts holding gear reduction and bendix to head plate.
Watch so that you do not lose spring and ball.
Clean gear reduction/Bendix and replace with new grease.

ALTERNATIVE from @warp9.9 :

Inexpensive Starter Replacement

Order new starter from discountstarterandalternator.com in Georgia.
1.2kw - part number 17774N $82.00 w/free shipping [280-0174 if searching elsewhere]
1.4kw - part number 17774N_PLA-47 $82.00 w/free shipping
1.6kw and 1.8 kw units can be made to work as well, but these require a slight amount of machining.

Remove the same four bolts from new starter.
Remove gear reduction/Bendix.
Install gear reduction from stock starter on new starter. Make sure that spring and ball go under Bendix.
Replace the 4 bolts.
Install on engine.

Ride on.

If you are really in a pinch, you can use these same part numbers at the local auto parts shop - they can be found on 1999-2005 Toyota Celicas (for one).

I hope this helps,

-Wayne

[Note: this is a current interest topic, and I revise it based on verified input from site members - thank you] [As of: 20171024]
So you didnt replace any gears from ebay someone told me might need

Back