Inexpensive Starter Replacement

This is for the group it will work for some and not for others.
May not work for early r3 with the orignal cat.
While u have the starter out splice a 4 inch wire into the wire that goes to the starter solenoid so in the future when uhave starter troubles u can use this wire to put on the positive wire to start the bike.
So if your clutch switch or starter button kick stand or the nuetral green light or starter relay is defective it will still start. This wire will bypass all safetys and may get u home so u can work on it in your garage. This was the pros
The big con if u do this and it is in 1st or 2nd then the bike will take off and more than likely fall off the stand.
This will do nothing for a low battery
If it is clicking and u do the by pass the the starter will just try to turn over slowly.
Hth

Ps
Do not use thumb or finger to hold starter solenoid wire on starter post
Gets hot fast
I usually do not strip wire just hold wire about and inch up the wire then touch it to starter post.

So this is not a plug an lay mod. It's a rebuild from a new starter parts. Would like to see the details of this upgrade. I guess one just uses the motor and solenoid. How about the gear that driver the flywheel?
From memory (which ain't so great anymore), been years, it's fairly self evident. You just unbolt the nose piece (3 bolts?) and swap old nose/front with new starter. I think it's just because gears are different, it's been quite a few years, but I figured it out, and I'm a mechanical dunce.

From memory (which ain't so great anymore), been years, it's fairly self evident. You just unbolt the nose piece (3 bolts?) and swap old nose/front with new starter. I think it's just because gears are different, it's been quite a few years, but I figured it out, and I'm a mechanical dunce.
But a wonderful grandpa and right about the starter

I ordered the correct 17610 starter and just noticed this starter has a plug below the solenoid, does it matter? Do I just disregard it?

Attachments

• starter.jpg
    starter.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 24
  • starter2.jpg
    starter2.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 24
Back