Inexpensive Starter Replacement

[Edit: PLEASE look at the first post . . . updated the info there.]

I don't suppose anyone that has done this has photo documented as they did it? I'm interested in doing so but am frankly quite novice, not sure where on the bike/how easily accessible the starter is or ease of doing the task. (No jack to get the bike up in the air, not sure about special tools,etc.
A number of you guys make it sound pretty easy, but I can also tell that those folks have more know-how with such things than I.

Before you go ahead with this make certain that you get the correct Starter motor. Some of the numbers given, even by Wayne Tripp were incorrect !!!!
17610 is the correct number as stated in post number 23 and 24

Last edited by a moderator:
it might be best if u let a starter guy do it and just give him the number of the starter,
because u have to switch the motor on the starter itself.
starter number 17610

It is so easy I did not even think of pictures. You do not even have to pull the starter off the engine. Disconnect the battery first, Then the wire on the starter motor not the battery lead but the motor lead. Then the two bolts on the motor and slide the new motor in. Two bolts on and then the motor lead. then the battery terminals and go ride :)

It is so easy I did not even think of pictures. You do not even have to pull the starter off the engine. Disconnect the battery first, The the wire on the starter motor not the battery lead but the motor lead. Then the two bolts on the motor and slide the new motor in. Two bolts on and then the motor lead. then the battery terminals and go ride :)

I thought I had to get further into the bike ... looks like she's just a sittin' right there waiting to be swapped.

View media item 10492

I thought I had to get further into the bike ... looks like she's just a sittin' right there waiting to be swapped.

View media item 10492
Yep below in the red is the wire from the motor to the solenoid. In case you want to check the contacts they are in green. Bad contacts can lead to a click also.

Starter innards.jpg

Of course the plunger can get corroded and burnt also. If you need to order a solenoid rebuild kit for the starter.

Triumph Rocket 3 2004 onwards Starter Motor Solenoid Repair Kit - Starter Motor Repair Kits

P8230035.JPG

And below is your starter with the two bolts you pull to take the motor off.

Starter motor.jpg

Of course yours is so new I can not believe you need to replace the motor already. I would do cables first. I have one on the Falcon with it done but one in a 07 with high compression and HP on the bone stock one that spins over like a mad man.

Of course yours is so new I can not believe you need to replace the motor already. I would do cables first. I have one on the Falcon with it done but one in a 07 with high compression and HP on the bone stock one that spins over like a mad man.

Yes it does work fine. It just gets quite cold during the winter here in Utah and as I still ride during the winter, the extra oomph of the 1.4kW unit would be nice. My previous RIIIs didn't enjoy kicking over when it was really cold. :)

Before you go ahead with this make certain that you get the correct Starter motor. Some of the numbers given, even by Wayne Tripp were incorrect !!!!
17610 is the correct number as stated in post number 23 and 24
Yes, I went and read the beginning of the thread, and now am the proud owner of the wrong starter. :banghead:

Yep below in the red is the wire from the motor to the solenoid. In case you want to check the contacts they are in green. Bad contacts can lead to a click also.

Starter innards.jpg

Of course the plunger can get corroded and burnt also. If you need to order a solenoid rebuild kit for the starter.

Triumph Rocket 3 2004 onwards Starter Motor Solenoid Repair Kit - Starter Motor Repair Kits

P8230035.JPG

And below is your starter with the two bolts you pull to take the motor off.

Starter motor.jpg

Here is a FYI that may help some people stranded: If you have access to a small scotchbrite buffing wheel you can clean up the contacts for a temporary fix. The second tip is when you have the starter off the bike drill a small hole in the middle of the solenoid cover and then pot a dab of rtv over it. If you starter switch craps out you can use a nail, small phillips head screwdriver and stick it through the hole and push the plunger to crank the bike. Harley riders have been doing this for years and an after market cover has been made that has a push button on it.

The correct part number is 17610 from Advance auto in USA. From a Toyota 5SFE motor. Details are in post #24 from Taildragger.

---

OK gents, it is time to share a few R3 trick and tips. This is the first - THE STARTER.

The stock starter on the R3 is a 1.2kw Denso unit that is a bit spendy (USD $737.32 plus shipping from BikeBandit). Here is how to fix a bad starter for $83.98, or upgrade to a 1.4kw unit (10mm longer, and 16.7% stronger) for $83.70... shipped to your door.

Many automotive engines use a 1.2kw starter, but have a cold weather option using a 1.4kw unit. This is exactly what we need for improved starting in cold weather, or with modified engines.

Remove your starter.
Remove 2 bolts holding starter motor to head plate.
Remove 2 bolts holding gear reduction and bendix to head plate.
Watch so that you do not lose spring and ball.
Clean gear reduction/Bendix and replace with new grease.

Order new starter from discountstarterandalternator.com in Georgia.
1.2kw - part number 280-0284 or 280-0281
1.4kw - part number 280-0283 or 280-0278
1.6kw and 1.8 kw units can be made to work as well, but these require a slight amount of machining.

Remove the same four bolts from new starter.
Remove gear reduction/Bendix.
Install gear reduction from stock starter on new starter. Make sure that spring and ball go under Bendix.
Replace the 4 bolts.
Install on engine.

Ride on.

If you are really in a pinch, you can use these same part numbers at the local auto parts shop - they can be found on 1999-2005 Toyota Celicas (for one).

I hope this helps,

-Wayne
Hi Wayne, hey I got the 1.4 from starter place in Georgia and it did not fit on my bike.Any ideas? I have a 04' R3

u can not use the whole starter
i am thinking that i just used the motor section and put it on my stater. works great since then.
u can research the threads or the guys might come along in a while.

Back