Induction and Slight Engine mod combo??

FastR34me

.020 Over
I moved this to its own thread as I didnt want to step on the thread simply about wilder Cams.
=============================

Have some questions on builing "the kit" to complete my mods...

right now, just have the triple KNs.. and no secondaries...

am waiting (very patiently for Sam's pipes)

am also leaning towards Cam's from Nev.

am also strongly considering the Supercharger route (was looking at boostisgood.com turbo because of being hidden and much simpler to install, BUT am leaning towards the Supercharge still)..

I have heard the point made that if you go Supercharger, then what you are doing exhaust is much less important. I get that... but...Wouldnt you still want the best header flow possible from the engine? Maybe 10HP dif. between a good design and great design in the right circumstance. If you are building a 220HP bike, wouldn't 230HP+ be better... (just an example... I have heard a lot higher #'s).

would the Cams' then be overkill as well... or would you want cams tweaked, knowing the engine will be working with a lot more air?

Assumptions: Of course upgrading the clutch would be highly recommended.

Will I use even 200HP often? No. But, when I am playing, would a bike that is another 15% faster than "standard supercharged" not be more fun?

You see where I am going with this thought? Input from the masters is required.

(I AM looking for reliability/predictability so am not looking to grenade my engine because of bad judgment.. that is NOT fun)

Paul

Drop in nevs cams, slip some travel preditor pipes on, fit a lockup you will need it, dyno the bike and maybe like jd you will have a street cred machine that will put many to shame, enjoy it... pushing the envelope with forced induction above 210 rwhp for a daily rider is starting to test the reliabillity factor as hombre commented, if you can handle fixing broken internals or want to spend the $$$$ to fit upgraded pistons and rods go for it, otherwise slip on the TTS supercharger and let her be. 8)
Me being a utter nutter want to see mine above the 200 rwhp club :wink:

bleeding edge

I definately understand the dif. between something that is day in day out driveable and not.

Even the best laid plains of mild mods can at some point 'get you', so its always a balancing act.

I have not ridden a 10second bike, but did have a 1970 Dodge Dart just out of highschool (think it weighed like 2300 pounds) that had a 383 with 411 (or close - my mind is failing me now) and a shift-kit that did 10 second flat and it was a handful, and "for the most part" very drivable, which was the goal.

I also had a GroupK modified (Stage 1) 750 Jetski ('93) I think that went from mid 40mph (in stock form) up to 58mph (modified), and it was reliable for 18 months then blew the top end, rebuilt, then broke the bottom end and ended up selling on is on FleaBay.

IF I had a 200HP or even 240HP bike, I believe if you are ripping into it all the time, you indeed WILL break it good, not IF, WHEN. I get that.

If I ONLY had the pipes, and did the Cam (like yesterday??) if would give me a better feel for where I truly sit with power.

Paul

hombre

So Hombre,

When you get the intercooled supercharger installed, what other parts are you going to change right away (from stock) ??

Wont that critter be close to 250HP and aching to break all kinds of internals?

Paul

Better cams will definately increase the blowers performance. My last maps have reached the fuel pumps limits. 250 bhp at 6900rpm, so limiting to say 6200 gives a fair safety margin and still over 200 bhp. I think it will be revs that will kill the rocket. The power delivery with the blower is so linear and smooth its definately benificial to a turbo or really wild na set up as far as reliability is concerned. I will be doing more work with this bike over the coming months, so we will see where the development takes us. I will definately play safe and fit rods and pistons before I push any harder.

Re: hombre

hombre said:
paulchops said:
So Hombre,

When you get the intercooled supercharger installed, what other parts are you going to change right away (from stock) ??

Wont that critter be close to 250HP and aching to break all kinds of internals?

Paul

The intercooled supercharger kit WILL NOT be going on my Ram Air R3. The synergy of Ram Air and Ram Cams is far too perfect to change... IMHO anyone that rode it would immediately agree. After riding it with last week and smoking a ZX-12... I feel confident I can teach some manners to busa bozos and punk ass ninja numbnuts right to 150 MPH (after which most fear to tread). "She's my little R3... you don't know what I got" :twisted:

I have not decided if I should build a drag bike with the intercooled super charger kit... or the ultimate R3 bagger for Jolanta. :wink:

hombre

Yeah, I understood that Hombre. From previous posts, I know the supercharger is going on your 'other bagger'

My question is/was... When you install the intercooled supercharger on the 'other' bike, what other parts are you automatically planning to change for reliability? In the vein of this thread, the thought is what else should be done to be reliable with that much horsepower? We are all assumming you would be somewhere between 230hp and 260hp with the setup just by adding the SC/intercooler.

Paul

bike

:) LOL

Not looking for fastest bike on the planet. I am on the fence about the supercharger and I am trying to calculating the true "cost"..

So far, the conclusion is I would do the clutch (on the fence about a Barrett or Lockup, exhaust (obviously, come on Sam :) and probably the Cam.

You gave me your opinion in the "I will not change pistons and rods", and I agree with you on REV's. I will probably even keep mine at 6700 or so, as I am not a 120MPH+ driver, and shifting through the gears at 6700 max is more than sufficient for matching the power curve within the lower gears. (not much left beyond that).

Thanks Hombre.

Paul

talltxguy33 said:
Paul,

I've got the Barnett clutch and absolutely love it. Took a few rides to get used to that heavy pull, but now I think nothing of it. I must mention that I'm only putting 147 horses to the rear wheel (triple K&Ns and Jars with custom PC map over Tuneboy).

If you talk to the guys who know their stuff, I'd be willing to bet that they will all recommend a lockup clutch with a supercharger. I would bet my house that a Barnett will slip. In fact, I have heard that Barnetts will occassionally slip on a turbo.

It just seems to me that if you're gonna invest $5 to $6 grand in a supercharger, why not spend an extra $700 on a clutch that leaves no doubt.

Good luck on your quest and keep us posted.

+1 on nevs lockup S/C or turbo nothing else will do, dont waste your $$ on anything else, very happy with mine......... will hold a boosted bike power wise no worries 8)

Back