PTT

.040 Over
Ride
2011 Rocket III Touring
I recently got new tires (Metzler 888's) and rear brake pads put on at the dealership where I got my 2011 R3T a year ago. I had ordered Rivco risers and a new extended clutch cable (Barnet cables) as well as picked up oil and a filter with all intentions of taking care of myself. Well, I couldn't figure out how to get the dang clutch cable off :mad: and I broke my (cheap a$$) allen wrench trying to get the oil plug out :banghead:. So I decided I don't have the tools, knowledge, space or patience to do this stuff. So, took it back to the dealership, handed them the parts and 2 hours later I was riding on a BEAUTIFUL day. Worth every penny:laugh:!

Now I've read a lot of the threads from you guys that do all of the above yourselves and I'm truly envious of your abilities but, don't kill me with more how to's and did you try's :p on this thread. Sorry, I'm just a rider, not a wrencher. I will of course continue to read that stuff from you guys so I know what to look for if problems arise.

Now, in the words of Ron White, "I told you that story to tell you this one": While I was at the dealership I got to test drive a new 2017 Indian Springfield (they are an Indian and Triumph dealer). I had been admiring them because, let's face it, they are beautiful bikes and IMHO a good step above an HD. It's pretty and it feels lighter and it sat nice and I like that its a little shorter seat height for my 5'10'' frame. But that's about it. It's probably an unfair comparison but it felt absolutely anemic on the road compared to the R3T. Once the ride was done and I told the dealership guys my thoughts, they all said the same thing: well you're definitely coming down from the Rocket. 'Nuff said!

BTW, If you're like me and it's a bit of a stretch to the bars on the Rocket, the 1" up 2"back you get from the risers makes a HUGE difference in the ride!

Congratulations. I've been fortunate to have made most of my mistakes on other vehicles and learned most of what I know throughout my life. My advice is to start small and work your way up if you are still interested in learning to wrench on your own motor. If you lived by me I'd be willing to help you step by step letting you do the work. I am by no means a pro but have learned you will never learn unless you try. That being said I'm glad you are satisfied with your local dealers service.

You're not alone, brother, I'm a master carpenter, anything to do with nails, screws, joinery, I'm your man. Nuts and bolts, well, it's obvious we just really don't like each other much. I decided long ago I'm better paying someone to do what they know, meanwhile I can be out earning money at what I know. Whatever works for you.

Back