fat frank

Supercharged
Went out to start bike and nothing. No lights, gages, noise, nada. Just did the EB relay kit and bike died a few times. I had left my ECU hanging. After I parked it in it's holder, it ran fine and had no simptoms of shorting out. I think it was bumping into some metal projections and shorting out the system. It would always crank back up.
Put a couple of hundred miles on it. Went out to ride and nothing. Totally nothing. Any ideas?
I checked the battery and it was at 12.8 Volts. I put the charger on it. Seems I would have something, even with a low battery. The only thing that works is the annoying horn.lol
I'll go back over the wiring I did but I think it's right.
Wish to **** I had left it alone. Seems like this happened one time before and remedied itsself.
Any help would be appreciated.

Frank check you fuses.
I know you probably did, but do it again,
sometimes I miss stuff the first time through.
Change your relays around next
if you're sure there's no snags in the wiring you just did.
Or just hook jumper cables to it and use a circuit tester an track it down.

Frank,
Connect TuneBoy and make sure you have communication with the ECU when the ignition sw is on. Check for alarm messages.
Send me a PM once you have done this and I will call you

Happened to me twice. Wire dropped off the back of the ignition switch. Dry joint soldered badly at factory. Triumph now recognize as an ongoing problem....good luck...:)

Bike ran fine and when I came home the other morning from work( last time I rode it), I turned it off in the street and coasted into the Driveway so I don't set off the broken glass alarm.lol
OK, I just went out and removed the flyscreen and ignitiln cover and the bike runs fine. What the ****! Do you think my fly screen is shorting out the circiut.lol This after I redid rechecked the light wiring.
I'll put it all back and see what happens. Sure makes me lose faith in my bike. Hate to be on a ride and this silly **** happens.
It has to be in the ignition switch. I guess I should replace it. With all the trouble it sounds like people are having with it, sees like Triumph would get it right.
Annoying, but minor. If this is all that goes wrong with it, I'm OK.
Later

BTW(Barneythe Weasel), thaanks for the input on the ignition switch. That post made me get off of my ass and go out to look at it.
Thanks again.

Went out this afternoon and dead again. What is the trick to removing the ignition to check it out. Looks like I need to remove the headlights to get to it. I guess you just unplug from the bottom of it. Where has all of the trouble been with these. Not having a manual, is there something on here to aid in removing and replacing or checking out?
Thanks in advance

Triumph to replace ignition switch for free...

....even though my Rocket is a 2005 model, 4 years out of warranty. And so they should. They made a crappy product in the switch and countless have failed. So I'm waiting for the new one to be installed for the second time.:eek: They reckon the parts have to come from England in two weeks. So in the meantime it's back to the Vulcan and the Kwaka. (both 100% reliable, without the brute power of the Rocket!):p

The bottom of the switch pulls off Frank to re-solder the wires. Remove the headlights....easy as and slip off the plastic cover and install a relay for the headlights, hardwired to the battery by cutting the brown wire, which runs the headlights. The switch is not up to the task of all that current to the lights.:)

GO KEYLESS. Worked great on three bikes I saw(mine was one) in all weather conditions at RAA VI.

Found the problem. It is this connection. Anybody recognize it? When the key is on and no power, I can move this connection and it powers up or cuts out. What ever it feels like doing at the time.lol
Going to put it in the shop.

Attachments

• 104_7614.jpg
    104_7614.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 104_7615.jpg
    104_7615.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 104_7616.jpg
    104_7616.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 108
Back