If I got my cipfers correct

I rode from Uralla to Thornton (350km) yesterday & used exactly 19 litres so that's 5.4 litres per 100km. (the fuel light came on at 280km)
I cruise along at about 120kph & hit 150 a few times while overtaking.
My bike has TORs with the OEM factory map. At the first service the dealer put a map in for the TORs but the bike started playing up so they put the original map back in.
I asked the mechanic if the original map would be too lean with the TORs & he said it'd be fine.
For some reason when they put the TORs map in my bike the TPS started playing up & the bike wouldn't idle. One minute it would be 800rpm then 1200rpm at the next stop. Also when you went to change up a gear the revs didn't drop straight away, it took a couple of seconds. So apparently they have ordered a new TPS & will try the TORs map again when they get it.

Curious here - Do you still have the OEM air box and filter?

G'day Phil
I have a R3T and fitted TORs and a K&N filter in the OEM air box ,like my previous bikes I took it to Jamie at Sports Cycles at Whitebridge near Belmont Toyota and had it remapped and Dyno tuned ,he really knows his stuff
20000Ks since it was done and still goes fantastically the OEM tune with TORS is too lean according to most Tuners,
Thanks for the info Ken. I'll wait & see how Brisan's go when they fit a new TPS & TORs map.
If they can't get it running right I'll go to Sports Cycles.
It just seems funny that it runs ok with the original map but the TPS plays up when they install a different map.
I'm a bit wary about getting a dyno tune since I got one a few years ago at Greens Cycleworks at Wallsend for a Harley I had at the time & it made hardly any difference. (3hp)

Thanks for the info Ken. I'll wait & see how Brisan's go when they fit a new TPS & TORs map.
If they can't get it running right I'll go to Sports Cycles.
It just seems funny that it runs ok with the original map but the TPS plays up when they install a different map.
I'm a bit wary about getting a dyno tune since I got one a few years ago at Greens Cycleworks at Wallsend for a Harley I had at the time & it made hardly any difference. (3hp)

My experience over the years with some dealers is a bit of a mixed bag ,but I have found if you find a guy who owns the business and actually works on the bikes himself you mostly get a good result, every time I go to Sports Cycles there are high end performance bikes lined up for tuning, service or Mods, Jamie "unlocked" over 30RWHP in my R3 with a reliable result, the difference was amazing, but most importantly for me the bike is smooth and has heaps of lowdown torque ,the only time my bike has seen 6500 RPM was on the Dyno so that's how he tuned it setting it up for my riding style with a lot of two up long runs, good luck with Brisan's

Yep, I still have the OEM air box & filter. The only modification is TORs.

IMHO retaining the stock air filter allows the TORs to make little difference.
Over the years on four different motors, I have found the change of both necessary to make any substantial improvement or require a retune.
Tis rather pointless to only change one without the other if you are after improved performance and the TORs look the same as OEM.

IMHO retaining the stock air filter allows the TORs to make little difference.
Over the years on four different motors, I have found the change of both necessary to make any substantial improvement or require a retune.
Tis rather pointless to only change one without the other if you are after improved performance and the TORs look the same as OEM.
I will be eventually be doing the air filter as well. Probably just a K&N filter in the OEM box.

NOT putting you down, Mate!
I just wish my brain (which totally understands the reasoning) could maintain control of my right wrist!
Riding motor is a dish best served in moderation, NOT full on or full off.

We ALL have/develope riding/driving styles for different reasons and needs. If style befits long life in engine, parts and pilot while affording both thrill and thrift; whats to argue?

I rode my bike(s) 500,000 miles over 15 years as a legal messenger in metropolitan SoCal. At those kind of annual miles gas, oil, filters, bulbs as well as ten times the average 'exposure' to traffic enforcement become VERY relevant and omnipresent factors.

Interesting is this digression in the OP. Subtle ribbing(or sensitivity) for braggadocio born of low MPG. On other moto forums it's the measure of your chicken stripess (or total lack of) at tires edge that determines whether one is getting worth from their bike or ride.
:laugh:

Whether it be judged by tire wear or average fuel consumption
"There are no trophies given for riding the street.":rolleyes:

Last edited:
We ALL have/develope riding/driving styles for different reasons and needs. If style befits long life in engine, parts and pilot while affording both thrill and thrift; whats to argue?
I rode my bike(s) 500,000 miles over 15 years as a legal messenger in metropolitan SoCal. At those kind of annual miles gas, oil, filters, bulbs as well as ten times the average 'exposure' to traffic enforcement become VERY relevant and omnipresent factors.
Interesting is this digression in the OP. Subtle ribbing(or sensitivity) for braggadocio born of low MPG. On other moto forums it's the measure of your chicken stripess (or total lack of) at tires edge that determines whether one is getting worth from their bike or ride.
:laugh:
Whether it be judged by tire wear or average fuel consumption
"There are no trophies given for riding the street.":rolleyes:

Excellent observations and comments. :thumbsup:
I was pretty much born on a motor, had my first at age 4 (Dad was an Indian dealer), raced as a professional, rode motors for the PD and have continued to ride the highways of America ever since.
Twisties & Speed have been my addictions up to age 69. :sleep:
"Chicken strips" and chamfered foot pegs are NOT the top test of a good rider. :eek:
Let's face it - the ONLY REAL test that means anything is how long in life we can ride safely! :D
Tortoise & Hare.jpg

Back