If anyone wants to view the America's Cup .....

yeah not a bad effort with the Aussie Skipper at the helm, just show what 2 upside down (or so the Northern Hemisphere dwellers think) countries can do:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
just a shame the cup has become a race of boats that are not even in the water half the time, give me the Traditional Single hull yachts like "Australia II we used to beat the them The First time back in 1983
1983 America's Cup - Wikipedia

I find today's technology absolutely amazing !

Besides the 'sailing on stilts' effect I was stunned to see all the 'converted bicycles' in the hull for the crew to operate hydraulic powered sail winches etc. Gone are the days of huge armed Rugby gorillas cranking winches and now huge thighed cyclists. Should add 'Sailing' to the poster below. ;):p:roll:

upload_2017-6-28_10-40-50.png

The Vendee Globe Race is kinda like the iron butt race. I remember how lucky Tony Bullimore was to survive the way he did.

Arhh!!! You got me ranting now. I can't stand that bastard Bullimore he deserved to die and take responsibility for his own extreme risk taking.
And what a bloody waste of money it was for our Australian Navy to spend millions even back then saving some stupid prick who wants to put themselves in EXTREME harms way and then expect mugs like us to save their arses while risking our own people and resources. The Australian Navy ship that saved him was not even suitable for the Southern Ocean conditions and the rubber duckies they had to use in extreme conditions risked a large number of crew.

I have no problem with rich self indulgent folks getting their jollies but they should accept the risks and pay for them themselves and/or die when they suffer misfortune or self error when they choose to put themselves in extreme situations.

I'll probably get sprayed with folks saying it is the same for motorcyclists but the situation IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. If some m/cyclists wants to cross the Antarctic solo or similar, fine, the same rules should apply. Either pay for your rescue or die if you f*ck up.

We waste so much rescuing idiots like that that could easily support children or others with cancer or other afflictions outside their control for which Govts abandon them and say they cannot afford a measly few thousand for a non-subsidised drug etc. They cannot make an exception they say, yet for rich self indulgent pricks like that they spend millions saving their worthless arses so they can do it all again as I believe he has.:evil::eek::whitstling::banghead::banghead::banghead:

We talking about them praying mantis stick insects skipping across the water?

Didn't the race used to involve boats????

We talking about them praying mantis stick insects skipping across the water?

Didn't the race used to involve boats????
Yep, that was before the Mericans changed the rules because they kept getting beaten..................
Now its all about who has the most $$$$ to employ the latest tec and the best sailors in the world..................

Back