I sold the R3T today 😢

dandiego

Turbocharged
Ride
2009 R3T
Well, it’s gone. It’s bittersweet, really. I needed to thin out the herd of bikes (down to 4 from a recent 8) and I just listed them all on Craigslist and the R3T was the first to go. Ah, but the memories...

I bought it new from Rocket Motorcycles in San Diego in 2009. The crate showed up from England and the Rocket crew assembled it in their shop. Boy, it was sure beautiful!

I rode that thing all over the lower 48, Mexico and Canada. There was just a few hundred miles over 60k miles on the odometer when I sold it and most of those were enjoyable miles. Yeah, the big girl caused me some grief over the years—leaving me stranded more than once due to mechanical issues—but Triumph always stepped up and made it right.

And I guess the best part of the Rocket III experience was the people...fellow Rocket Captains I’ve ridden with or otherwise interacted with over the years. PreStaged, Fingers, Kelly (HellFire), Lupe (Mexican) and so many other characters that made me feel like part of a family. A weird, dysfunctional family, but a family nonetheless. You guys are the cherry on the sundae.

And she was a head turner, that’s for sure. How many times did I pull into a parking lot full of ubiquitous Harleys and have everyone come over and ask about my Triumph? A lot!

The most recent big ride was to the Blue Ridge Parkway, Cherohala Skyway and Tail of the Dragon. Been to Key West twice and across the US several times. Rode from San Diego to Michigan just for some free beer, then rode Route 66 back to check an item off a friend’s bucket list. Took her off road a couple times, too! Didn’t want to but sometimes it was necessary in the middle of BFE. She did fine for a 1/2 ton bike.

The silver lining was that it went to a good new owner. The guy who bought it recently sold his 2007 Triumph R3 Classic because he wanted more of a long distance bike and his 240-series rear tire R3 was never comfortable enough for multi-day rides. He seems pleased. And I totally understand why.

Well, that’s it, then. As I start researching what’ll replace her, I sit here and smile, thinking of the wonderful memories this bike has given me over the past dozen years.

Adios, amigos. I’ll see ya out on the trails or highway or at that cool little biker bar. Ride safe.

Attachments

• 0A87EA1D-EB11-4705-9BDC-0593DBAEAE9F.jpeg
    0A87EA1D-EB11-4705-9BDC-0593DBAEAE9F.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 3A64F52C-BFA4-4E1F-B752-D11DF70DFB5C.jpeg
    3A64F52C-BFA4-4E1F-B752-D11DF70DFB5C.jpeg
    228.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 958AF34D-26CE-44AF-9A35-72A7099B052F.jpeg
    958AF34D-26CE-44AF-9A35-72A7099B052F.jpeg
    629.5 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Good luck and good story! I’ve test rode a few bikes over the last couple of years thinking I would replace my R3T, but nothing came close to the rocket when it came to The raw power the rocket has on tap at every rpm! The torque is addictive and not available on any other bike! The rocket has ruined all other bike for me!
Hope you find a good replacement and let us know when you do!
happy trails!

The rocket has ruined all other bike for me!
Hope you find a good replacement and let us know when you do!

So the wife asked what I’d be buying to replace it. I told her I just didn’t know...so many choices. She then said, I’ll bet the new Rockets are nice! Doh!

How do you deal with all the idiots on Craigslist? I need to cut down from 6 bikes to 2, but hate dealing with the public. There are a lot of cwazies out there! I know I may be one, but it is difficult to deal with them. Saying your price is "FIRM" doesn't seem to mean anything. Guess I may try a ridiculous high price, and see if any of the idiot's want to pay. :);)o_O:eek::oops:

I know how you feel @dandiego , i sold my 05 a few years back and said i was done with the rocket, 2 weeks later i was on a plane headed to Sacramento to pick up my 2015 rocket X, I belive this rocket will be with me until i can't ride no more. Just because you are rocketless for now don't mean you have to abandon the ship, a few guys and girls don't have rocket anymore and are still part of this great disfunctional family :D :)
How do you deal with all the idiots on Craigslist? I need to cut down from 6 bikes to 2, but hate dealing with the public. There are a lot of cwazies out there! I know I may be one, but it is difficult to deal with them. Saying your price is "FIRM" doesn't seem to mean anything. Guess I may try a ridiculous high price, and see if any of the idiot's want to pay. :);)o_O:eek::oops:

How do you deal with all the idiots on Craigslist? I need to cut down from 6 bikes to 2, but hate dealing with the public. There are a lot of cwazies out there! I know I may be one, but it is difficult to deal with them. Saying your price is "FIRM" doesn't seem to mean anything. Guess I may try a ridiculous high price, and see if any of the idiot's want to pay. :);)o_O:eek:
I would understand FIRM, out of respect, you know what you got and know the price. Im waiting for you to list something im wanting to build a Lush racing rocket and give hogs gone wild hell. No it wont count, 2 vs.3 cyl., whatever i dont care, #Rocketnation

I know how you feel @dandiego , i sold my 05 a few years back and said i was done with the rocket, 2 weeks later i was on a plane headed to Sacramento to pick up my 2015 rocket X, I belive this rocket will be with me until i can't ride no more. Just because you are rocketless for now don't mean you have to abandon the ship, a few guys and girls don't have rocket anymore and are still part of this great disfunctional family :D :)
Yeah

Back