I have an opportunity - could buy 1971 Triumph Bonneville T120

They’re much more expensive in the UK and we made them! Trouble is most went to the good old U S of A but now we’re buying them back.

If you have the lose cash, do it. Even if you ride it a while and decide to sell it, you won't lose a dime at that price. Old Bonnies are selling for quite the coin these days. I was thinking of getting one myself, but the prices are crazy!

You are correct I have been watching the market for a couple years and every barn find is a $10,000.00 bike. It is Stupid. I think if I buy this I am overpaying at least $500.00, but oh well. Just the fact that it has all the parts and pieces makes it attractive. I would rather have a 68,69.70 Bonnie. A 1958 T110 would be my dream bike cause that is what my dad had.

You are correct I have been watching the market for a couple years and every barn find is a $10,000.00 bike. It is Stupid. I think if I buy this I am overpaying at least $500.00, but oh well. Just the fact that it has all the parts and pieces makes it attractive. I would rather have a 68,69.70 Bonnie. A 1958 T110 would be my dream bike cause that is what my dad had.

I had an late 72 5 speed Bonnie and rode that bike for 10 years, sold it to my cousin, and got it back and rode it 2 more years. Loved that bike.

It is difficult to determine value on it Billy without a closer look. $3500 is certainly not out of line for a good running old Bonnie. The oil in the frame models were initially not as collectable as the pre-1970s models but have been increasing in value. These were the Umberslade Hall frames and back then caused somewhat of a goat rope. It was found that the engines built at Meridin didn't fit the frames. Below is a bit of background:

Triumph Bonneville Oil-in-Frame

As some have pointed it, the early frames were prone to cracking but that was resolved later on. I had a 1974 Bonnie, among my many others at the time, and never had a frame issue.

"Can get it running" is a bit of a red flag because it can be a problem if these bikes sat too long. They used to have a sludge tube running through the crankshaft that would gum up sitting and cut off oil flow. I cannot recall if they dispensed with it with the 71 and newer because those had an oil filter.

I have a basket case 1957 Triumph T110 sitting in the back of my shop, along with a 47 and 58, awaiting resurrection.

Very good price Billy. You done good bro.

Just don't tell your wife about buying it and she'll never know. I've had so many multiple bikes in my garage over the years that I kept my wife constantly confused. If you have to own up, just tell wifey what a great investment you made.

Be careful about riding that old Trumpet and remember that the shifter is on the right.

There is nothing like a classic Triumph. I always enjoyed watching that fender vibrate while sitting at idle at a stop as those two jugs ride up and down together. I never realized that the pistons were in synch until I rebuilt my 67 on my back porch in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. One piston had a hole in it. I had the head off with the bike in gear and turning the rear wheel. When both pistons went down at the same time I thought I was totally screwed with a blown crank. I kept turning the rear wheel as both went up at the same time. WTF? My Clymer manual then enlightened me. I just love those old Triumph twins and they remain the best part of my riding history.

Well I got a couple real pictures today. Looks like a decent project bike. I looked at it and thought,"oh ya I remember doing this." Tear down and parts list started forming in my mind.

Thoughts?
1971 T120.jpg T120 1971.jpg

Well I got a couple real pictures today. Looks like a decent project bike. I looked at it and thought,"oh ya I remember doing this." Tear down and parts list started forming in my mind.

Thoughts?
1971 T120.jpg T120 1971.jpg

Looks pretty complete, think you've made a good purchase.

Went out for ride on mine in the weekend and d*mn they're good bikes still. It wont take much to get it pristine, but my advice would be to make it usable, rows of immaculate restored bikes leave me cold, I prefer to look at ratty, leaking ridden bikes that have been usefully updated to be able to be ridden regularly. Not saying I don't like a nice paintjob, but spend money on suspension, electronic ignition, better oil filtration and possibly a cooler if you live in hotter climates. Oh and make it comfortable to ride.

Back