I have an opportunity - could buy 1971 Triumph Bonneville T120

BillyIndiana

Road rash heals-Freckles grow back-Ride
Ride
2015 R3T
I have a friend that has a 1971 Triumph Bonneville T120. The bike is pretty much stock. The paint is the wrong color and it has after market pipes, but other than that it is all there.

He assured me the bike runs and offered to have it running if I want to come look at it.

I spent last night reading up on the 1971 model. First year oil in frame and all.

$3,500.00 is what he is asking. Do I buy it?

It is the red one in the center
71Bonnie.jpg

Hard to see it clearly but it looks pretty complete from pic. There is no problems with parts for these bikes in fact spares seem easier and cheaper to get than when I was younger so keeping them going easy. The T120 is a bit underpowered when lined up with the T140 (750cc).

Things to look out for are cracks in the frame (they are oil in frame) where the swingarm pivot meets the frame (easily fixed and strengthened). Conical hub brakes leave a lot to be desired but thats what they were built with so live with them.

The 71 should be the high frame so the seat height is increased, they lowered it the next year I think as people complained, being tall i prefer this frame. You can tell this where the back section of the frame meets the main oil tube is nearly at the top of the tube, later it was dwn the tube about 2".

The prices on these bikes are increasing over here to silly money (more than they are really worth IMO) $3.5K US seems a fair price for it as youve got some history re the bike. Matching engine and frame numbers also influence prices.

Things like an aftermarket oil filter/cooler really help also, the little things that extend engine life and show a bike thats been built to last/used would influence my decision.

End of the day they are fun bikes and easy to live with and still go OK for what they are. I still run the T140 i built out of parts when i was 19 (48 now) was almost my only bike until the R3 came along. Its not matching numbers and has been modded, is in no way original but that's not why i own it, it goes gooood, not fast by todays stds, handles good, brakes terribly but just does it for me.

If its not a money, or appreciating asset/investment thing I cant see you would go too far wrong.

The first of those "Oil in Frame" bikes had a very high seat height, '72 onwards it was lowered by an inch.
Wire headlight and front mudguard (Fender) mounts which tended to break with vibration.
These were the first with the Alloy Conical Brakes front and rear and "megaphone" Mufflers.

71Tri-T120-Lx.jpg

Not sure of the value, perhaps check listings on E-Bay etc.

need a few more pics does it have triple or double primary chain,single or double bolt in top of head, oval or long oblong valve covers, double throttle cables, double carbs, double points,coils condensers pain to synch but nice when they are still got all the easy stuff to lose like the chrome on top of the tank and the plug over the tank mount bolt. I would but maybe for a little less but my wife would surely shoot me

If you want it for an investment then it has to be original in every way to be of value later on dosn't it?
If you want it to ride cos it takes you back aways, then yes, probably ok.

If you want it for an investment then it has to be original in every way to be of value later on dosn't it?
I have a friend that has a 1971 Triumph Bonneville T120. The bike is pretty much stock. The paint is the wrong color and it has after market pipes, but other than that it is all there.

He assured me the bike runs and offered to have it running if I want to come look at it.

I spent last night reading up on the 1971 model. First year oil in frame and all.

$3,500.00 is what he is asking. Do I buy it?

It is the red one in the center
71Bonnie.jpg

I had a 73 Bonniville with oil in frame. It had crack in the oil tank under the seat.
As the crack was at the top of the tank I used filler to stop it. As far as I know this is the main problem with this model.
It was a reliable bike for me.

Motorcycle as an investment!!! you are funny.

No I would probably take it down to the frame just to give it a good going over and deep clean.
Put the paint back to original cause I really like the colors.
Update the ignition system, battery, tires, and general maintenance.

Then ride the crap out of it around town and put it in some local shows in the area.

Figuring $3,500.00 purchase then another $3000.00 tops just to ride down memory lane.

WE have a motorcycle museum here ...its down south in Invercargill nowadays and it has numerous Triumphs along with heaps of other makes and models. Yes...Investments....Some of those bikes are worth alot of coin...
But you can ride the crap out of it and still get the enjoyment factor...thats what they're for aint it?

Back