I have an opportunity - could buy 1971 Triumph Bonneville T120

Agree that it looks almost complete Billy. You can still get Tioga exhausts for them and oil filters. I can't recall if those have a separate oil cannister/filter or if there is one in the frame. I have some of them if you need one but they are available.

Boyer makes a pretty good electronic ignition but I've been told by some of the local Brit restoration guys at the last LeMay show that there is a better one made in Australia or NZ as I recall. I see that you have a bent front brake lever. These are also readily available. It appears that yours are aluminum. Most of the unit and pre-units were chrome and I've got some of those. I might even have an aluminum one.

If you have some rust in the tank, I recommend you do not use any of the coating products, such as Creme.

Of the Amal carbs are worn out, you can get new Concentrics or have them bored and the slides sleeved.

It appears that you have a tear in the right side of the seat. Replacement covers are readily available.

I'm interested to see what kind of parts list you come up with. I can't see much that you need.

Agree that it looks almost complete Billy. You can still get Tioga exhausts for them and oil filters. I can't recall if those have a separate oil cannister/filter or if there is one in the frame. I have some of them if you need one but they are available.

Boyer makes a pretty good electronic ignition but I've been told by some of the local Brit restoration guys at the last LeMay show that there is a better one made in Australia or NZ as I recall. I see that you have a bent front brake lever. These are also readily available. It appears that yours are aluminum. Most of the unit and pre-units were chrome and I've got some of those. I might even have an aluminum one.

If you have some rust in the tank, I recommend you do not use any of the coating products, such as Creme.

Of the Amal carbs are worn out, you can get new Concentrics or have them bored and the slides sleeved.

It appears that you have a tear in the right side of the seat. Replacement covers are readily available.

I'm interested to see what kind of parts list you come up with. I can't see much that you need.

I can assure you that having owned my T140 for 29 years that parts supply and price are currently better than i ever remember not all parts of course but you can even get brand new cylinder heads now.

IMG_8272.JPG
IMG_9182.JPG
IMG_8654.JPG
IMG_8472.JPG
IMG_8626.JPG
IMG_8194.JPG
Last September I bought a 1970 T120R as a "project" but upon months of spare time tinkering I've found it's virtually all original and I'm going to keep her that way. It's such a lovely companion to the Rocket. No slouch, pretty nippy and handles well. The sound is awesome too.
IMG_8609.JPG

In the UK OIF models don't have the same following. Their prices are pretty static whereas pre 1971 appreciate almost daily.
Same as in the US. There are some exceptions like the Silver Jubilee and the late 70s model with the electric starter. I believe the 1970 to be the best of them.

Back