I cant understand why Triumph doesn't...

Cost is absolultely why they do not put on better shocks, but its not just Triumph, every manufacturer shaves costs on the suspension. There are some that put really good stuff on their bikes, but that is the exception not the rule. the other area is exhaust. Every company knows one of the first things people do is trash the restrictive heavy exhaust and put on better stuff.

It works well in that case, jam crap in there to make it Euro 4 compliant and sell the bikes, people spend some coin get good exhaust and get to experience the bikes as they were meant to run :D
Thing is that in EUROPE - if it is EURO4 compliant - you change and they happen to spot it - BIG FINES. It will also in many countries invalidate the insurance and thus open you to the criminal justice system. Much though I may dislike emissions control - it is the future - learn to accept it on new stuff. I will NEVER buy another modern bike.

I know that most of the major mainstream aftermarket zorst mfrs (esp in italy) are seriously thinking of only making € approved pipes with DIY (not reversible) gutting instructions. The UK is a bit of a grey zone and always has been. But Brexit or not - Euro4 will hit there too. I have a mate here who builds custom bikes. He now has to sell them with a MoT set of parts as well as the fun parts. Some customers are paying him a monthly storage fee for the MoT parts as they don't have space at home.

Added to cost - if small mfrs suddenly got a big contract to (say) supply Triumph or KAWASAKI - from that day on they'd be forced to cut corners reduce costs and specs - so the advantage would go. I see this daily. Sometimes (generally in fact) it's better to say - Nope we'll stay small and independent thank you.

And let's be honest here - Motorcycles in the "exotic" category are VERY expensive. Look at the car you can buy for the price of an R3.

Back