How to balance throttle bodies

Well finally got the old girl cracking..... even throws flames when hard compression braking. Mate reconds it's a sight as his 110HD couldn't get past me!
Thank you all again for your input for my issues. I have really got to know my bike a lot better.
Muff....
Throwing flames could be a sign that you are running a tad rich ? Take a look at your plugs next time your under the tank . If you are , a slightly leaner tune will probably unleash another couple of ponies !

Today I worked on a 2005 with triple K&N and TORs. The TB are a little out of sink. 1 and 2 read 600 and 3 read 570/580 bouncing back and forth. I'm thinking the adjustment is simple enough, but I'm concerned about resetting the rear TPS. Any Thoughts ?

Also I loaded a tune in it, a 2005 with triple K&N and TORs. I used 20228goodoldbase TORS TripleTune Cat delete Ramair anti decel pop plus5. The tune made a difference that could be felt from the old Powertrip enhanced 20050. However at 4,500 rpm it burbles and stumbles some. Any thoughts.

The rear TPS is the primary TPS. Resetting it is easy with TuneECU. I have the guide for resetting both TPS'. PM me if you want me to send it.

I have 20228 loaded on my bike. Huge difference in power, no decel popping, mileage dropped from 30mpg to 26mpg. Runs very rich. Those are the main characteristics . I have no stumble at 4,50rpm. Did you check the voltages on the both TPS units?

Throwing flames could be a sign that you are running a tad rich ? Take a look at your plugs next time your under the tank . If you are , a slightly leaner tune will probably unleash another couple of ponies !
I have Hanso's tune in the bike which is a little bit richer for what I've done to the old girl! And yesterday I was riding her like I hated my back tyre. Maybe I'll try her on a less "Full throttle" ride and see how she goes ......

I have Hanso's tune in the bike which is a little bit richer for what I've done to the old girl! And yesterday I was riding her like I hated my back tyre. Maybe I'll try her on a less "Full throttle" ride and see how she goes ......
:eek: you mean there's less ? My bike only has 2 settings , flat out and stop ! :sneaky:

Balancing the throttle bodies is easy with the [TuneECU] software and a screw driver. If you have the stock air intake plumbing you might either opt to remove the plastic ducting or if you can get a 90 degree screw driver on the screws you could leave it on. Either way #1 and #3 are the ones you actually adjust by the adjustment screws in between the throttle bodies. The engine should be at operating temp. Before you do this job I would also clean all the springs and linkages on the throttle bodies with WD 40 with a straw on the end tol loosen up the dirt and grime and blow it out and lubricate things at the same time. Below are some pictures that might help.

The adjustment screws on the throttle bodies between #1 and #2, and then the one between #2 and #3.

P3270058.JPG

Note the springs in between these get the cleaning I was talking about.

Below is the spring and throttle roller the cam rides against. theses get spray cleaned and lubricated.

PA210277.JPG

another shot of the spring on the front throttle body.

PA210283.JPG

Spary, clean, and lubricate the stepper motor shaft. This is easier if you extend the motor the .12 volts during the ISCV rest function. That way it is easier to drop the rubber boot and spray with WD 40.

PA210295.JPG

When you get them balanced, say there are 10 points between them or better, blip the motor a couple times and let it come back to idle and evaluate the balance, and adjust if needed. Do this a couple times until fully balanced, then do a full ISCV reset
Hope this helps some!!!!

Great post sir but I’m not sure how you adjust the throttle bodies. This shows how and where to clean but which screw do you turn for which cylinder. Are there 3 screws or just 2? Are you suggesting we remove the entire TB mechanism or is this just for photos?

Thanks for your time.

Great post sir but I’m not sure how you adjust the throttle bodies. This shows how and where to clean but which screw do you turn for which cylinder. Are there 3 screws or just 2? Are you suggesting we remove the entire TB mechanism or is this just for photos?

Thanks for your time.
look for any post by @idk - in his signature you'll find links to instructions.

Thanks for your time.
There are only two screws: one between #1 &#2 and one between #2 & #3. And you do not remove the throttle bodies. I just had an extra set from which I took pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, tank up and support with the prop clipped under the righthand side of the tank and a really long, decent screwdriver.

IIRC the screw between 2-3 works the opposite way to that between 1 and 2. Be patient. The number of the screen doesn't matter just that all 3 readings should be within 10hPa of each other. The more in balance they are the smoother the bike.

Back