How do I clean Amal floats

Tazmandoo

Standard Bore
Ride
1969 rocket 3
Tasmanian boy lost in Minnesota just bought a rocket 3 got some sticky floats what's the best to wash with

If the floats are sticking the carbs probably need a complete strip and clean/rebuild. There are quite a few You Tube videos on rebuilding Amal carbs. Or you can do like I did with my Norton 850 and go with Mikuni carbs.

bob

Tasmanian boy lost in Minnesota just bought a rocket 3 got some sticky floats what's the best to wash with
This forum is about the Hinckley Triumph Rocket III.
If your Amal floats are sticking I would use viton needles and the new 'stay up' floats.

Any good carb cleaner and a bit of time should do it. If it is not too bad and still rideable, try running a couple of tanks with cleaner.

If the floats are sticking the carbs probably need a complete strip and clean/rebuild. There are quite a few You Tube videos on rebuilding Amal carbs. Or you can do like I did with my Norton 850 and go with Mikuni carbs.
bob

Back in the day I have done many of these swaps and the Mikuni are indeed a much better carb than Amal. :thumbsup:
As I 'member the Amal floats are sealed brass. Check for leaks and clean with gas or Brasso! :laugh: :roll:

Lowbrow customs will have everything you need.

They are my go to people. Any questions call and ask for Todd.

Search results for: 'amal Carburetor'

Old carbs are interesting. They either come to life or never work.

Get yourself an ultrasonic cleaner and put some carb cleaner it it. Run it for 15 minutes inspect then maybe 15 minutes more. You can pick one up cheap at Harbor Freight.

There is a British Motorcycle Mechanic page on facebook I highly recommend.

Back in the day I have done many of these swaps and the Mikuni are indeed a much better carb than Amal. :thumbsup:
As I 'member the Amal floats are sealed brass. Check for leaks and clean with gas or Brasso! :laugh: :roll:
Amal carbs on my 72 bonne the floats are like hard plastic with metal pin to let them "pivot" I have used regular gas and a tooth brush

[QLikeUOTE="breeze, post: 616486, member: 3811"]Amal carbs on my 72 bonne the floats are like hard plastic with metal pin to let them "pivot" I have used regular gas and a tooth brush[/QUOTE]

Brass v. plastic - I show my age advantage over you, my friend! :inlove
Most often it was grime sticking the pivot pin anyway, and not the actual floats. :D

Back