horn wiring

relax

.020 Over
I am fitting a couple of horns in my r3. The low-high type. Do I must put a relay for them or can I just use the existing wiring for the original bipbip horn?

I am fitting a couple of horns in my r3. The low-high type. Do I must put a relay for them or can I just use the existing wiring for the original bipbip horn?

always run a separate circuit with a relay. You don't want to overload the stock wiring. Some horns, like the stebel, draw 13-17 amps.

I can't find a link for them but the pair of horns I have is just like using two stock horns at the time, each have an outer spiral shell and they were quite popular in europe in the 70's.
I wonder if the horn wiring can handle two horns at the time, that's all.

I can't find a link for them but the pair of horns I have is just like using two stock horns at the time, each have an outer spiral shell and they were quite popular in europe in the 70's.
I wonder if the horn wiring can handle two horns at the time, that's all.

you could always do it scientifically...

I = E/R

it's a 12V system and you could measure the resistance across the 2 horns and calculate what the current (I) draw would be. Compare this to your stock horn's resistance and see if they're close. I wouldn't want anything over 5 amps through the factory wiring. Your threshold may be different.

Just an idea...maybe a dumb one.

you could always do it scientifically...

I = E/R

it's a 12V system and you could measure the resistance across the 2 horns and calculate what the current (I) draw would be. Compare this to your stock horn's resistance and see if they're close. I wouldn't want anything over 5 amps through the factory wiring. Your threshold may be different.

Just an idea...maybe a dumb one.
No, that's perfect.
Thank you

Here's how I hooked my two fiamm el grande horns up. It's louder than crap

I just installed the fiamm El Grande horns which were what seemed to me to be the closest I could find to what vikei had. To wire them up using the fiamm relay was this.

I spliced into the two wires that were going to the horn and then hooked old horn back up and then the extension went to terminals 85 & 86. Terminal 87 was used to go to the horns (there's two, I used one and tailed over to the other one. I then ran a 14 gauge wire with an inline fuse from the battery that hooked up to terminal 30.

It's louder than holy crap.

With the El Grande horn, you only get 1 set of brackets and they didn't work real well. I need to find some other type of bracket before I post pics.

I have installed them and they work great. Wow, what a difference..
I took off the stock horn and placed the relay and wirings in it's place behind the chrome horn cover.
The only doubt I have is that I have taken the current from the stock horn's + cable, and placed a fuse holder there in series. But I am not sure about if this cable is already fused or not, and what will fail if the new horns blow it's fuse if any (not the new one I have installed near the relay).

Just a note, I've used the crash bars to hold the horns, one at each side, and I like it this way.

If you don't run a power line from the battery sufficient to carry the amperage draw of the two horn, when you lay into it, you may burn up the stock wiring, as has been said previously. A few short test blips of the horn may bring the current in the wire only to the point of near failure. Laying into it to wake up the converging soccer mom on her cell phone may be more than the wiring can handle.

Last edited:
I have installed them and they work great. Wow, what a difference..
I took off the stock horn and placed the relay and wirings in it's place behind the chrome horn cover.
The only doubt I have is that I have taken the current from the stock horn's + cable, and placed a fuse holder there in series. But I am not sure about if this cable is already fused or not, and what will fail if the new horns blow it's fuse if any (not the new one I have installed near the relay).

Just a note, I've used the crash bars to hold the horns, one at each side, and I like it this way.

run a fused +connection from the battery to the relay and you will be fine. You've already done the hard part and this will be easy. My motto is do it right the first time.

Back