Home Made EB headlight relay harness

HansO

Not Taking Life Too Seriously
Ride
08 Rocket III R.I.P now TEX Triumph Explorer
Sorry been a a few weeks since saying I was going to do this but here is a pictorial with some instructions bare with me as I will probably need to do some editing
Firstly the basic ingredients
For those more skilled please be patient I am doing this so any body with even basic skills can do it
image.jpg
image.jpg
Then you will need to make the power supply wires (50amp) and splice in a second set of ends, also in picture are the other wires that will pick up the switching power and the ones that will be spliced to headlight wires
image.jpg

Using a fine blade screwdriver spilt the wire so the piece to be spliced can be put in and twisted before soldering
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
then insulate with heat shrink
image.jpg
image.jpg
Now to prepare the ends, sweat some solder on to the exposed wire ends then crimp and solder the brass fittings that come with the relay mounting blocks these will not need to be insulated as they sit inside the blocks
image.jpg

To be continued

image.jpg
Just found the limit of pictures per post is 10 this one of the brass crimp on fittings I also solder them so they can not come off
image.jpg

The brass fitting will only go one way so that they lock in now care fully study the relay package which will have the numbered pin and what goes on it remembering that we are using two relays, one for low beam which will use the red wires so apart from the power and earth in wires all the other red wires will go to one block and all the black to the other
EDIT I forgot to mention I fill the blocks with the Dielectric Grease as seen in the blue and white tube in some of the Pictures
image.jpg

I using this photo series to show the best method of joining and finishing the other end of the power supply at the battery end
Note that I have the heat shrink slid up well away from the heat then twist the wires as neatly as possible
image.jpg

Then sweat some solder into the twisted joint once cool slid the heat shrink down and apply some lite heat to it
image.jpg

The end of the wire are the sweated with solder before crimping, I use a ratchet type crimper as it does a much better crimp than the cheaper types, also make sure you select the right size eyelet end pieces as to large a hole will result a poor connection
image.jpg
image.jpg

The next post will identifies the wires to cut and join etc

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions

the fitting of this relay harness carries on in post# 15

Last edited:
Yes it is great. I wish you had posted this before I did mine, it would have saved me a lot of time, and worries that I was doing something wrong.

Can someone sticky this in the How To section? I'm sure lots of new owners could use this.

Thanks Hanso your "knowledge" and skills has helped me more than once.. :thumbsup:;)

Attachments

• 10487356_10152029469395834_3346913395303394746_n.jpg
    10487356_10152029469395834_3346913395303394746_n.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 8
sorry guys I ran out of time yesterday so I will go back to my last picture post and Finnish it then I will attempt to show how to fit it to the bike the bike I am fitting it to is a roadster

Back