High Volume Oil Pump

hombre

Nitrous
NL Racing has been turning R3s with stock rods to 7250 RPM with good results. I'd like to do this with the longer duration exhaust cam on my IC SC bike (longer duration moves torque higher producing more HP), but I'm advised to increase the oil supply.

Any suggestions on sourcing or fabricating a higher volume oil pump would be appreciated.

Hombre:

You have 2 oil pumps in the R3, a pressure pump and a scavenge pump so if you modified the rotor in the pressure pump to deliver more volume you'd also have to modify the scavenge pump to remove the increased volume from the sump. Seems pretty involved and I can't find the Liters per minute flow anywhere.

You have to do both of them not just one.

Good point, Flip. I suspect changing the rotors or gearing are the only possibilities, but those would be cheaper than new rods, bearings, and crank after a failure.

Just a fly in your face idea, but I'm wondering if you could add a booster pump externally that would only operate intermittently, like at 3/4 throttle or better that way, the scavenge pump would still be able to clear the sump below 3/4 throttle as I'm sure the scavenge pump has to be rated at more flow than the pressure pump. That just stands to reason, but then, is Triumph always reasonable? You are running a PTO for your supercharger and with an adapter plate between the oil filter and the base, you'd be able to increase the flow at least to the point that the internal pipes and drill ways would be the upper limit. You could use either the PTO drive or an electric pump, the electric pump being the simpler to control alternative and a lot easier than splitting the cases to get to the scavenge pump (which you have to do to extract it).

Just an idea and probably the simplest way.

And by the looks of it you would have to split the engine cases to get to the scavenge pump.

Then drop in forged rods and pistons at same time and she would make 7250 no sweat... but a lot of work for only 10 more HP. :(

Just a fly in your face idea, but I'm wondering if you could add a booster pump externally that would only operate intermittently, like at 3/4 throttle or better that way, the scavenge pump would still be able to clear the sump below 3/4 throttle as I'm sure the scavenge pump has to be rated at more flow than the pressure pump. That just stands to reason, but then, is Triumph always reasonable? You are running a PTO for your supercharger and with an adapter plate between the oil filter and the base, you'd be able to increase the flow at least to the point that the internal pipes and drill ways would be the upper limit. You could use either the PTO drive or an electric pump, the electric pump being the simpler to control alternative and a lot easier than splitting the cases to get to the scavenge pump (which you have to do to extract it).

Just an idea and probably the simplest way.

That's a hell of an idea, Flip: a boost actuated electric pump... my compliments!

Your idea makes much more sense... only need more oil at higher RPM where boost is over maybe 10 PSI. The scavenge pump would pick it up as long as it wasn't for prolonged periods... Maxton is only 1.5 miles.

Thanks! :D

Back