Just curious. Do not answer if you don't wish.
Did your "family friend" wave his cut after expenses were paid?

there is probably a point to be made that I have given of my time and money for them at times too - everything is a two way street. You want support you gott give it too.

Hi all,

I think I need some knowledge from the more experienced rocket captains out there.

Basic story, I’ve got a touring model (2018) with 4000s on the clock. For those who haven’t read some of my other posts I have a highside in April as a result of oil on a roadway. Bike has been repaired but I’m getting a relatively minor but still disconcerting high speed oscillation.

The headset bearings have been checked and tightened. That helped a little. I have virtually new Avon cobra chrome tyres as I picked up some nails on the way home from the dealer from getting the repairs done (yeh I’m thinking of doing an exorcism on the bike)

My rear suspension is set at position 3. I weigh about 130kgs in gear. Tyres are blown to 38 front and 42 rear.

The oscillation occurs with or without the windshield. It also occurs at 36 psi front and 41 psi rear.

The dealer is assuring me the forks and frame are okay. It happens even if I take the panniers off.

It only occurs at speeds above about 110kph and is more obvious at about 130kph

Any advice of what the check next? I’m at a bit of a loss!!!
I posted the exact same problem, though I had never been in an accident with this bike, yet. I have the same tires, pressurized the same way and also tightened down on my bearings, which got rid of the wobble, but still had the weave. Since my posting, I replaced rear shocks with 13" progressive shocks, and raising the rear a little did help, but did not eliminate the problem. Been too busy with this good weather to replace the bearings altogether, but will do that once the riding season slows. If that doesn't cure the problem, then I'm off the Cobras, even though I like the handling. One captain suggested an Excedra rear, which is supposed to give another 1/2" raise. Couldn't agree more with the other comments regarding dealers. Most are like lawyers, looking for billable hours, and go through every possible related component until they maybe find the root cause. Anyway, us know if you do find the cure.

FWIW - what Harley says
upload_2019-8-10_11-35-37.png

My first experience in adjusting headstock bearings was on a Harley FLHP. On that bike, you do not remove upper triple-tree to get to stem adjuster nuts. Also, I might be stupid, but I had never thought of loosening the triple tree shock clamps when making adjustment until I read the Harley manual. Then it made perfect sense not doing so would affect adjustment. Also, I have had two Harley with bad headstock bearings. Vrod was pretty obvious when riding and performing "fall-away" check. The FLHP not so obvious when driving and passed swing test. The FLHP lower headstock bearing were slightly brinelled in rear of race. The bike felt like it lost 200 lbs after I changed and adjusted bearings.

It is interesting the Harley method verifies pre-load via "fall-away" or "Swing Test" after tightening the top triple tree stem nut and the Rocket methods relies feeling for looseness or binding. IF there is any disturbance of the stem bearing adjustment by tightening top triple tree nut, the Harley method seems more quantitative than the "feel method" of triumph

Fall Away and Swing Test (late model)

Swing test (early model)
upload_2019-8-10_12-26-43.png

upload_2019-8-10_12-26-53.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-8-10_12-26-3.png
    upload_2019-8-10_12-26-3.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 2
  • upload_2019-8-10_12-26-15.png
    upload_2019-8-10_12-26-15.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I posted the exact same problem, though I had never been in an accident with this bike, yet. I have the same tires, pressurized the same way and also tightened down on my bearings, which got rid of the wobble, but still had the weave. Since my posting, I replaced rear shocks with 13" progressive shocks, and raising the rear a little did help, but did not eliminate the problem. Been too busy with this good weather to replace the bearings altogether, but will do that once the riding season slows. If that doesn't cure the problem, then I'm off the Cobras, even though I like the handling. One captain suggested an Excedra rear, which is supposed to give another 1/2" raise. Couldn't agree more with the other comments regarding dealers. Most are like lawyers, looking for billable hours, and go through every possible related component until they maybe find the root cause. Anyway, us know if you do find the cure.

Been doing more reading and looking at the design of the bike... I’m wondering how much could be how the engine is bolted. My bike took impact to the engine dresser bar.... might try loosening and retightening and seeing if that changes anything....

Update....

Bike goes back to repairer day after tommorrow, insurer is sending assessor out to check what they have been charged for vs what’s been supplied and the bike will be run through a frame alignment machine ..... so that will address the question of frame. If the frame is flexed I’ll be cut a cheque, if not, they will start working through other possibilities

On a side note I checked the engine mounting bolts.... it’s not them. Tyres are new and no wheel damage.

So that leaves:

Frame
Forks
Bearings

Anything else I should insist is checked?

Update....

Bike goes back to repairer day after tommorrow, insurer is sending assessor out to check what they have been charged for vs what’s been supplied and the bike will be run through a frame alignment machine ..... so that will address the question of frame. If the frame is flexed I’ll be cut a cheque, if not, they will start working through other possibilities

On a side note I checked the engine mounting bolts.... it’s not them. Tyres are new and no wheel damage.

So that leaves:

Frame
Forks
Bearings

Anything else I should insist is checked?
just asking rims bent tiers balanced?

Back