Hi I have a 2013 rocket 3 touring having some engine skip problems

BYRD955

BYRD955
Ride
Triumph rocket 3 touring
I I ride this bike hard it has the Torq exhaust mufflers and the tune to go with it. In the past 1000 miles or so I notice that the motor will drop all cylinders randomly and so far for a moment then some times a loud backfire, some times not and it will return to normal for the remainder of my ride.
Does this bike have a crank sensor, that goes bad????/ any input would be great.
The bike has 18,000 hard miles on it, to much fun not to twist it lol

I I ride this bike hard it has the Torq exhaust mufflers and the tune to go with it. In the past 1000 miles or so I notice that the motor will drop all cylinders randomly and so far for a moment then some times a loud backfire, some times not and it will return to normal for the remainder of my ride.
Does this bike have a crank sensor, that goes bad????/ any input would be great.

@BYRD955 Yes, it bike does have a crank sensor on it. Can't remember hearing much chatter about them going bad but that whole memory thing ain't like it used to wuz. There have been issues with the spade connectors on the coils getting loose and causing misfires. Is it setting any codes in the ECU? You can check them with any generic OBDII scanner. Checked the battery cables? Bad grounds do some really strange stuff. Good luck! Hopefully one of the local guru's will chime in once the eclipse is finished

There is a crank position sensor that can accumulate crap on it, it is placed directly underneath the Alternator at the rear of the Engine.

s-l1600CA.jpg

@BYRD955 Yes, it bike does have a crank sensor on it. Can't remember hearing much chatter about them going bad but that whole memory thing ain't like it used to wuz. There have been issues with the spade connectors on the coils getting loose and causing misfires. Is it setting any codes in the ECU? You can check them with any generic OBDII scanner. Checked the battery cables? Bad grounds do some really strange stuff. Good luck! Hopefully one of the local guru's will chime in once the eclipse is finished
There is a crank position sensor that can accumulate crap on it, it is placed directly underneath the Alternator at the rear of the Engine.

s-l1600CA.jpg
Thanks I will look to see if thats any crap or oil around it. I went for a ride today skip free.... fingers crossed but there still got to be a problem .An OBD2 reader will plug in where, as I have one!

Thanks I will look to see if thats any crap or oil around it. I went for a ride today skip free.... fingers crossed but there still got to be a problem .An OBD2 reader will plug in where, as I have one!
The plug is on a cable right behind the battery. Sometimes it'll be shoved down and hard to see, but it's there.

Okay as of 7/30/18 I have solved the problem. I had an ETHANOL problem it was plugging the injectors randomly and after running 2 bottles of "Lucas Injector cleaner" threw the system it runs like new. Also 4 years ago I installed a Corbin seat. I lost the top to the air box when I changed seat. I asked my dealer if there was a tune for this as I lost some low end with the seat swap. While I was working through the fuel problem I retune my bike by putting a strip of duct tap across the top of my air box "LMAO" as this was my only option to retune lol, but it did work Low end is back and pulls hard al the way to the shift point....

Okay as of 7/30/18 I have solved the problem. I had an ETHANOL problem it was plugging the injectors randomly and after running 2 bottles of "Lucas Injector cleaner" threw the system it runs like new. Also 4 years ago I installed a Corbin seat. I lost the top to the air box when I changed seat. I asked my dealer if there was a tune for this as I lost some low end with the seat swap. While I was working through the fuel problem I retune my bike by putting a strip of duct tap across the top of my air box "LMAO" as this was my only option to retune lol, but it did work Low end is back and pulls hard al the way to the shift point....

That's strange ..... :confused:

Back