HELP :Ticking sound from engine

Arkansas Rocket

.040 Over
This morning started my bike and heard a ticking sound from the engine. I turned the motor off and checked my oil level and all was good. I went ahead and rode my bike to work thinking that maybe the sound would go away. well, it didn't. The ticking sound can only be heard when stopped or going very slow and the ticking sound increases when the rpm's increase. Going down the highway you can't hear the noise cause of the rumble from the Jardine exhaust.

Well when I got home tonight I let the bike idle and listened to see where the noise was coming from. The ticking is the loudest on the front of the engine between the headlights and the front fender.

My bike is 2006 Rocket SE with 38500 miles and has had no up grades done to the engine or transmission. My bike has had the famous paint can rattle noise coming from it for some time. The only things that have been done recently has been the ignition switch was replaced 2 weeks ago by the dealership and I installed the Eastern Beaver highlight relay kit.

Any ideas????? Any help or direction would be greatly apppreciated.

Mine started doing the same thing a few days ago. I just chalked it up to the heat. I have 13000 on mine and under warranty so Im gonna drive it till it pops. It just had the 10000 mile service a couple of months ago, if that. Not sure what it is.

You may be hearing the valves tick. Some engines do, some don't; that's my experience anyway. I wouldn't worry about it. When I got my R3T, I mentioned it and the dealer said that is a normal Triumph sound. That said, I never heard them in my Sprint or an old Honda CX500 I had. My Honda 650 Nighthawk did and the dealer said not to worry.

I have heard them clatter in some cars/trucks and others of the same make and model don't.

Maybe take a look at your fan to be sure nothing is in it, if that is clear then don't worry about it.

I may be wrong here but..
I would be looking at the Timing Chain Guides, in the earlier models I believe they fretted, bent, cracked and then finally broke into 2..
Chain could be tapping in the timng case... also clutch basket can be noisey at idle.
Just thinking aloud....
I would be checking these to be on the safe side.

I had all types of rattles and noises but the upgrade cleared them and now only a faint Clutch basket noise in neutral..

I may be wrong here but..
I would be looking at the Timing Chain Guides, in the earlier models I believe they fretted, bent, cracked and then finally broke into 2..
Chain could be tapping in the timng case... also clutch basket can be noisey at idle.
Just thinking aloud....
I would be checking these to be on the safe side.

I had all types of rattles and noises but the upgrade cleared them and now only a faint Clutch basket noise in neutral..

Dennsell, Is this something that I can check myself as far as the timing chain guides? If so what is the procedure or the how to? Thanks for the information.

I would be surprised to here your cam chain tensioner guide is bent or broke in half . If it was You would have bent valves and a no start problem. I could be worn. Here is a good link to guide you on how to check to see how far your tensioner is extended. If it's extended over 16mm you need to add a shim, and it's all explained in the thread. If it's over 24mm extended your nearing max extension and you have worn parts. ( guides, cam chain and gears) .

I just replaced all of these items on my Rocket. It also requires a cam alinement tool. The job can be tricky. And a wouldn't recommend it to a novice mechaic . But checking the extension of the tensioner is a piece of cake..

http://www.r3owners.net/common-issues/10570-paint-can-rattle-fix-cost.html

Also got this ticking noise from somewhere on the right of the engine, maybe a little closer to the front side. As Arkansas Rocket said - it appears while idling and almost can't be heard at the higher revs because of the exhaust. I've noticed that it appears during the acceleration or with the push of the throttle and disappears when throttle is down or during the decel. Any suggestions?

Back