I used to ride in an HJC FF and liked the fit for an economy helmet. I switched to a Vega stealth Phantom, which is a convertible FF that's DOT and ECE rated, and it's got a gigantic shield and view. The liner and trim items just didn't hold up, though, so I switched to a Lazer Falcon All carbon FF. it's not ported for helmet speakers, but I use in-ears on long trips with a Sena SMH-10R (skinny one) and love the result. The helmet is outstanding for weight, ventilation, and fit and finish. I have a solidly round (Shoei) head, so I sized up for Lazer, which seems to make the Arai oval helmet. I've been soaked in this helmet and my head stayed dry. I've ridden in sub-freezing temperatures and the pinlock shield didn't fog (seriously, check out pinlock shields if you haven't switched to one. They are life-changing for variable weather conditions). I also use a Transitions Photochromic shield that eliminates any need for sunglasses, and that thing is incredible. Good luck with the search.

I also use a SMH10 and am interested in which ear buds you have found that work under a helmet.
I would like better sound quality in my Bell Mag 9.

Thanks, I'm checking out that Shark Vantime - need to try one on to see if it yields enough room for my face.
Sunburn? My own "barbagris" prevents that on my lower face! :thumbsup:
In summer mine is "stubble length"
But it was my forehead and nose - even with sunblock.

Shark EXPLORE-R?

btw - always worth using the webbikeworld site for Helmet analysis.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm

Always a bit out of date - but ...............................

Not all modulars are created equal, though. I've read horror stories about the front part just detaching in some guy's hand, I think that was a Bell model of some kind. Not something you want on your head when you go down and watch the pavement scraping by across the face shield. Just having the helmet security certified isn't the end of the research, it's the basic minimum at which any helmet can be considered.

Not all modulars are created equal, though. I've read horror stories about the front part just detaching in some guy's hand, I think that was a Bell model of some kind. Not something you want on your head when you go down and watch the pavement scraping by across the face shield. Just having the helmet security certified isn't the end of the research, it's the basic minimum at which any helmet can be considered.
This from the SHARP SITE
SHARP came into being in 2007, after the Department for Transport found real differences in the safety performance of motorcycle helmets available in the UK. While all helmets have to meet minimum safety standards, research showed that up to 50 lives could be saved each year if motorcyclists wore the safest helmets available to them.
All this came into effect ages after I left the UK and was told about it much later on than 2007. But I have seen helmets that would pass SNELL and BSI/ACU that frankly only a real idiot would trust in.
Then again - once you've had to suffer gravel rash or a severe head impact - you don't really need to be told - I don't think. See previous sentence if so.

@1olbull,

I just use simple in-ear, gasketed headphones. I think the ones I have now are Skulkcandy, but anything that sits deeper into your ear is helpful for clearance. I normally use a medium ear gasket, but switched to a small for my riding pair so that they sit further in. They don't have to be expensive, just well sealed. And I use Sena's headphone adapter, by the way.

I too tried them all. Cheap ones, expensive ones, modulars, FF. Budget didnt allow for a Shoei unfortunately as I liked the fit of them. The Triumph dealerships we attended stocked these Japanese helmets called Kabuto. I tried on an Aeroblade III and loved it right away over everything else. RRP from $400 AUD at time of writing.

http://www.motorbikegearshop.com/image/cache/data/KABUTO/Matte_Black[1]-500x500.jpg

Worth checking out the review.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/kabuto-aeroblade-3-review/

@1olbull,

I just use simple in-ear, gasketed headphones. I think the ones I have now are Skulkcandy, but anything that sits deeper into your ear is helpful for clearance. I normally use a medium ear gasket, but switched to a small for my riding pair so that they sit further in. They don't have to be expensive, just well sealed. And I use Sena's headphone adapter, by the way.

Thank You! :thumbsup:

I also use a SMH10 and am interested in which ear buds you have found that work under a helmet.
I would like better sound quality in my Bell Mag 9.
Tsk - 'bul. REAL MOTORCYCLISTS listen to their engines. That's all one really needs.
I also now use a natural age and abuse related background noise generator - called Tinnitus. :D

Back