Heated grips blow aux fuse

alexwasserman

.060 Over
Ride
R3T 2008, Trophy 1200 1995
I have the Triumph heated grips on my 08 R3T, and when working, they're great. I've not had an issue with the cabling (new bike to me, obviously not a new bike, hoping this has been worked out already), but they do seem to blow the aux fuse regularly.

This might be related to my forgetting to turn them off, but often I'll come back to the bike to find the gas, trip, clock, etc all reset to 0, and not holding the data, which is a sure sign of a blown fuse.

The fuse is easy enough to replace, and I carry spares, just curious if this is a known issue with a known solution? Or, do I just need to remember to turn them off after riding? Could it be something to do with running them while the engine isn't running and overwhelming the battery when it's not got the motor running to supply additional power?

Thanks,

Alex

Why not rewire the heated grips direct to the battery and use a relay from a switched power source to make sure that the grips turn off when you turn off the key? You could still have a handlebar mount on/off switch to turn the grips on when it was cold. As a side bonus you could also run a USB or cig lighter plug off the same wiring and relay if you wanted to be able to power GPS, cell phones, cameras etc.

@Jeff - Yes, I can. This is how I got the bike, so haven't taken the time to start re-wiring yet. If this is a known issue, with a known solution, I could just implement whatever the fix it. However, a little more googling and you seem to have the best answer, so I'll end up doing the rewiring.

@TriumPhil - Atlantic Highlands, although, wasn't that far from you today. Ridden up 206 and 94 before and found it a great ride.

The heated grips shouldn't blow a fuse. I'm when they were installed they were connected to the built in adapter in the stock wiring harness. If they were somehow installed otherwise, that may be the problem.

Also, be aware that if you use them you will likely suffer the dreaded grip failure. The plastic piece that holds the throttle cable to the grip will fatigue and break. Most have abandoned the Triumph heated grips on the Touring for that reason. If you're going to keep them make sure you pack the original throttle side grip in your bags.

When the new season rolls around, Alex, I'd be happy to share some amazingly good riding/roads out this way with you!

New season? Not done with the old one yet :)

Sounds great, I'll see you as soon as the ice clears in Feb/March.

The heated grips shouldn't blow a fuse. I'm when they were installed they were connected to the built in adapter in the stock wiring harness. If they were somehow installed otherwise, that may be the problem.

Also, be aware that if you use them you will likely suffer the dreaded grip failure. The plastic piece that holds the throttle cable to the grip will fatigue and break. Most have abandoned the Triumph heated grips on the Touring for that reason. If you're going to keep them make sure you pack the original throttle side grip in your bags.

Which tune do you have? TuneECU or PC3?

I have an 08 R3T with Jardines and triple K&Ns too. Currently running a TuneECU tune from their website, but getting a lot of decel popping.

Seeing as the setup is basically the same, wondering if you have a nice tune you could share.

Which tune do you have? TuneECU or PC3?

I have an 08 R3T with Jardines and triple K&Ns too. Currently running a TuneECU tune from their website, but getting a lot of decel popping.

Seeing as the setup is basically the same, wondering if you have a nice tune you could share.

Neither, mine is a TuneBoy tune. Initial tune was done in conjunction with Wayne before TuneECU was developed. Final tune was from Wayne at PowerTripp (different Waynes, can be confusing). The tunes are not interchangeable, but if you look for the TuneECU PowerTripp tune it should be similar.

I installed my OEM heated grips myself and hooked them to the pre-installed connector under the tank (my bike came with eff all for accessories, had to buy and install the fog lights, heated grips etc) and they certainly aren't blowing fuses. I'm in terror of the throttle wire ripping clean out of it though the way it apparently often does... so about to replace them with something else, I guess.

Still, removing them from the built in wiring and connecting them straight to something like a http://pdm60.com might be an idea, just to be on the safe side. But I doubt if it's the heated grips causing the glitches.

Back