Heated Grip Gone Out - Advice Needed

Journeyman

"And this one is just right" ~ Goldilocks
Ride
2020 3R
The left grip isn't heating. Checking continuity where it plugs in under the tank I have nothing from the grip at the two ends on the plug. The right grip has continuity and it works. Also, the right grip is receiving 12.03 volts from the battery side of the plug (high or low switch position), but the left grip is getting 11.34 and 10.24, depending on the switch position. I'm not sure why that is. What does that point to? Do I have two different problems?

The lack of continuity on the left grip. It looks like the grip itself is sealed- is that right? I'd like to see if the heating elements are gone, or if it's just a problem with one of the wires leading to it. Can I get inside the grip without destroying it? Depending on that answer I guess I could try tapping into the wires close to the grip and running direct to the battery and ground to see if it comes on. In that case it would be a break in the wire somewhere and I know what to do.

If you've been here before, please jump in. Thanks!

IMG_3516.JPG

Seriously though, not having dealt with Triumph grips specifically, had the same issue on my heated gloves from Gerbing. Sent them in for repair under warranty and they found that one of the internal connectors became unplugged (was basically open like yours). I would start by using a multimeter with sharp probes and pierce the wires near the actual grip to check continuity on the bad grip. this will at least let you know if it's the wiring or the grip side of things. You can also switch over to VDC and check the voltage at the grip using the same spots you just pierced to ensure voltage is getting all the way up to the grips.

Looks like those connectors serve the left grip and right grips independently? Are the keyed to allow you to switch left to right and right to left to see if the issue switches sides or stays at the left grip?

Seriously though, not having dealt with Triumph grips specifically, had the same issue on my heated gloves from Gerbing. Sent them in for repair under warranty and they found that one of the internal connectors became unplugged (was basically open like yours). I would start by using a multimeter with sharp probes and pierce the wires near the actual grip to check continuity on the bad grip. this will at least let you know if it's the wiring or the grip side of things. You can also switch over to VDC and check the voltage at the grip using the same spots you just pierced to ensure voltage is getting all the way up to the grips.

Looks like those connectors serve the left grip and right grips independently? Are the keyed to allow you to switch left to right and right to left to see if the issue switches sides or stays at the left grip?

All good suggestions- thanks for your input. I had to put it back together, but next time I plan to do just that- check continuity near the grip for each wire down to the terminal. If none, it's a broken wire (easy fix). If good then the grip is bad and I'll need to fork out the $$.

I could swap plugs, but there is definitely no continuity in the wire (terminal to terminal) on the bad grip side, so the juice would have no where to go. I am curious why the power side to those plugs is different though- a second problem? The voltage on one side is a little low. It could be that once I fix the wire or replace the grip that side will not get as hot. If so, I guess I'll bypass the main harness and run new wires to the relay.

I did stay at a Holiday Inn once, so I hope I sound like I know what I'm doing, but if I really did I wouldn't be posting here....

I think I stayed at that Holiday Inn - price has gone up - still no smarter though.

When I was lurking here before buying the bike, looking for complaints, there was a fair amount written about bad Triumph heated grips. So I asked the dealer to install Avon heated grips.

Got home, and they didn't work.

I took the bike to the local Honda dealer, and asked for their recommendation, and they suggested Oxford grips (which they sell) so I had them swap out the grips.

I got a phone call from them, saying they thought the Triumph dealer had miswired the grips, and the Avons were probably o.k. -- I asked them to go ahead with the Oxfords.

I ride all year, and the Oxfords continue to function. I kept the Avons, in case the Oxfords failed, and from the looks of it, I may have them to the end.

I think I stayed at that Holiday Inn - price has gone up - still no smarter though.

When I was lurking here before buying the bike, looking for complaints, there was a fair amount written about bad Triumph heated grips. So I asked the dealer to install Avon heated grips.

Got home, and they didn't work.

I took the bike to the local Honda dealer, and asked for their recommendation, and they suggested Oxford grips (which they sell) so I had them swap out the grips.

I got a phone call from them, saying they thought the Triumph dealer had miswired the grips, and the Avons were probably o.k. -- I asked them to go ahead with the Oxfords.

I ride all year, and the Oxfords continue to function. I kept the Avons, in case the Oxfords failed, and from the looks of it, I may have them to the end.
Paul- I just looked up both brands and they are cheaper in pairs than one Triumph grip, so I may go that route if I need to replace the grips. It looks like the Oxford wiring runs outside the handlebars from the grip- is that correct? How about the Avons?

Paul- I just looked up both brands and they are cheaper in pairs than one Triumph grip, so I may go that route if I need to replace the grips. It looks like the Oxford wiring runs outside the handlebars from the grip- is that correct? How about the Avons?

Alas, a mind is a terrible thing to lose. Been too long, and I can't remember the Avon installation that was only on for a week back in 2014.

For sure, the Oxford has a substantial wire pair going outside for each grip - and I've never been able to stand them full on.

They have a fairly -- depending on personal taste of course -- gaudy shiny plastic dial controller that attaches to the handlebar at the location of your choosing. With the dial, one has infinite variability, unlike my Honda or the heated seats in my Chevy or Volkswagen that have 1, 2, or 3 dots.

Curious to know who installed the grips, dealer or yourself? I seem to remember another fellow having problems with the left grip loosing power when the wire was pinched where it enters the handlebars. I have included a link to the installation instructions from Triumph https://www.triumphinstructions.com/ProdDocs/A9638053-EN.pdf showing how the grips are installed and where the potential pinch points are along with this snip of the offending area and how the left grip is installed.
1603968271924.png
1603969036725.png

When you measured for continuity, what was the resistance of the good right hand grip? The left should be the same. If the left grip is showing an open circuit the area where the grip is placed on the handlebar is the suspect area. The left grip can be removed by pulling the bar end weight, then removing the 2 screws holding the grip in place. There is also the potential for left hand harness to be shorted to ground but if so, it should have toasted the relay or blown a fuse. Note, the one relay powers both grips. Hope this helps.

The left had no continuity, so there has to be a break in the wire or the grip itself. I had pulled the grip earlier to see if you could get inside, but apparently not. So, the plan is to tap into the wires near the grip to make sure there is no break up to that point. IF so, I'll cut out the bad section. If not, then I figure the open wire is in the grip itself. Both harness connections are powered, but the left one is producing less volts. Thanks for the instructions- I didn't have those. If it's a bad wire I'll bet you're right- it is one of those points entering or exiting the handlebars.

Back