Harley's Purchase of MV Agusta Finalized

A few years ago, Ducati attempted to trademark their engine sound and abandoned the effort when the legal expenses seemed excessive. At the time, the Ducati 998R/S was better than girls and the MV Augusta F4 was just released and being distributed in the US.

I may be wrong, but if Harley had just bought MV then and spared themselves the engineering costs of designing the VROD engine, they may have come up with a cruiser alternative that many would might have liked. I say that with some reservation because it takes some effort to make the italian 90-degree twin look good (not sure it could be done on a cruiser). Something that any traditional Harley or VROD engine would have the advantage on.

I'm not a fan of most Buells, but do appreciate Erik Buell. He is an engineer, a problem-solver, and an inspiration to his company. It is completely understandable that adopting an Italian Twin would require a new Buell Model, but that is what Erik is passionate about. These days, Buell's marketing is focused on the rider experience. Strap a Buell around some Italian power and you've got a motorcycle that sounds sexier, has gobs of torque, and will boost your confidence level on the road - which would be a good match for Buell's selling points.

I'm not a fan of most Buells, but do appreciate Erik Buell. He is an engineer, a problem-solver, and an inspiration to his company. It is completely understandable that adopting an Italian Twin would require a new Buell Model, but that is what Erik is passionate about. .

Shawn!!! : There ain't no Italian V-Twin in MV's catalogue. None. Just a late 90's designed in-line four that evolved from 750cc to the current 1000cc-some rendition, admittedly stretched to death displacement and power-wise.

And THAT is it.

When MV's previous owner/parent , Cagiva, decided to compete with Ducati (and Aprilia) in Europe, it sourced V-Twin engines from Suzuki and came up with a "me too" Ducati Mostro (I don't know whether Cagiva's were ever exported to the USA).

In any case, Buell or not, this is gonna be a major, self-inflicted FLOP.

You first read it here. Jamie;)

Last edited:
Jamie:

The dealer where I bought the KLR at carries Aprilla and Cagiva as well as Can-Am and Ducati. Matter of fact, talk about multi-line, they also have Kawasaki, Yamaha. No Honda or HD.

If, indeed it turns out to be a flop (and you are most likely right in that assumption) it could cash strap HD to the point of obscurity.

Every time I look at the motorcycle market with it's numerous manufacturers and more coming everyday (the Chinese and the Koreans...and India) I hearken back to the 300 hundred odd manufacturers of snowmobiles in the early 60's and the 5 left today.

I also think about the 1500 bucks I put as a deposit on a Dreer Norton 955 Roadster that never came to be. Once bitten, twice shy.

Every time I look at the motorcycle market with it's numerous manufacturers and more coming everyday (the Chinese and the Koreans...and India) I hearken back to the 300 hundred odd manufacturers of snowmobiles in the early 60's and the 5 left today.

Huh?? You mean Boa-Ski went out of business??

Huh?? You mean Boa-Ski went out of business??

Yep. Along with a bunch of others. The smart ones gave up on sleds...John Deere and Honda. Yes, Honda had a single ski single track snowmachine similar to the A&D Bovin except a smaller engine. They are worth a fortune today.

I'd say about the only manufacturer hanging with their knees in the breeze right now is Arctic Cat. Yamaha, Polaris and Ski-Doo are all just small portions of much larger companys. Arctic Cat is stand alone, well, a portion is owned by Suzuki, but not much.

Back