Hanging it up again....

Elcanaco rode down from BC, arriving on Sunday and staying over for my 71st birthday yesterday. We talked about the many miles we've ridden together since about 2005 and how it's almost getting too difficult to do long distance touring anymore as we age. We acknowledged that there are some things we just can't do anymore. I'd still like to get down to visit him at his Mesa place over the winter again though. I'm planning to haul one of my bikes up to his place in Castlegar within the next 30 days and get out and around east BC and west Alberta.

Then it's new knee time for me again in the fall and hopefully be recovered enough to get to Mesa for some AZ riding before Gord heads back north in the spring.

Oh and having lunch with Claviger and 1olbull yesterday was a shot in the arm. It was a a good time with some good laughs and of course, Rob leading the technical discussion. I told Steve that he's my role model because he's about 2 years older than me and just got his second Rocket. As Elcanaco and I watched them ride away from the restaurant we both acknowledged that riding is still a passion and we wanted to stay with it as long as we can.

This is a subject close to my heart!
Cudos to ya both for knowing when the time has come!

While the need and urge to ride motor yet remains strong within my soul, I know the end of my ride is much closer than was the beginning.
I so clearly remember the day I quit racing at 35 years. I was pretty well beat up from my years of football and racing motors.
Much time was spent seriously pondering if my body would at least allow me to ride, explore and enjoy the highways of America until perhaps 60 years.
I now sit here, a couple days after a long ride through 5 states, realizing I have truly been blessed to still have a fair ability to haul a big, powerful motor through the twisties, some 13 years longer that I had hoped!
Will I be wise enough to know when the end arrives? We shall see . . .
Ape Hangers Forever.jpg

Just put the Harley up for sale. This was my third attempt to get back on a bike over the past few years after 40 plus years of riding. The ol' body and mind just does not want to cooperate anymore. So, if I do get back on it will be on a Rocket trike in the future. A Harley Tri Glide does not interest me in the least. And truthfully, the drivers out there scare the hell out of me now with all of the distracted driving going on. Here in town we had several fatalities from cars making a left turn in front of the bike. One was a motor officer and you cant find much better riders than those guys. Two geezer riders in Flagler ran head on into one another on A1A. No helmets either.

You guys and gals have been a great bunch and I will be checking in from time to time.

Sorry to here the body won't allow the 2 wheels any more but mate u will still be getting the wind in your hear with 3 and good to hear .
There is some good kits out there to do the conversion

Back